Gravitational Potential Energy Earth Question

• Thread starter eurekameh
  • Start date
Gravitational Potential Energy (U) = -(GMm)/R
Also, U = mgy.
I need help making a connection between these two equations. For U = -(GMm)/R, it is saying that because R = radius of the Earth, an object on the surface of the Earth has a gravitational potential energy, correct?
U = mgy seems to be saying otherwise because y = 0.
Can anybody explain this to me?

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
What matters when talking about gravitational PE is the change in PE measured from some reference point.
Gravitational Potential Energy (U) = -(GMm)/R
Note that R stands for the distance between the two masses. This formula assumes that the zero PE point is at R = infinity, when the masses are infinitely far apart.
Also, U = mgy.
This formula is useful near the Earth's surface. It takes the zero PE point to be wherever you set y = 0.
I need help making a connection between these two equations. For U = -(GMm)/R, it is saying that because R = radius of the Earth, an object on the surface of the Earth has a gravitational potential energy, correct?
Right. If you plug in R = Radius of Earth, it will give you the gravitational PE compared to when they were infinitely far away.
U = mgy seems to be saying otherwise because y = 0.
That formula uses y = 0 as a reference, so you can't directly compare those results.

But as I said up front, what really matters is the change in PE. For example, if you lift the mass m from y = 0 to y = h, what's the change in gravitational PE? Using the second equation, you'll get ΔU = mgΔy = mgh.

You could use the first equation to measure that change in PE. In that case you'd need to compare the PE when the masses moved from R = Radius of Earth (Re) to R = Re + h. Like so:
ΔU = [-(GMm)/(Re + h)] - [-(GMm)/(Re)]

For values of h near the Earth's surface where h << Re, you can work it out and find that
ΔU = (GMm)/(Re)2*h = mgh

You get the same answer either way. (If h is too big, then the value of g will vary too much, making the mgy version unusable.)

Thanks so much for the answer. It makes sense now. =)

Something just came up again. What if I wanted to conserve mechanical energy? Do I use U=mgh or U=-(GMm)/R? I've noticed that I use U=mgh for objects close to the Earth and is falling to the surface of the Earth and U=-(GMm)/R for objects really far away from Earth. Can someone clarify this for me?

Doc Al
Mentor
Something just came up again. What if I wanted to conserve mechanical energy? Do I use U=mgh or U=-(GMm)/R? I've noticed that I use U=mgh for objects close to the Earth and is falling to the surface of the Earth and U=-(GMm)/R for objects really far away from Earth. Can someone clarify this for me?
U = mgh only applies when the object is near the surface of the Earth, where g is relatively constant. When the object is far enough from the surface that variation in g matters, you'll need the other formula.