1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity and Satellite Equations

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    This isn't quite a question, i've got an exam coming up and i'm compiling a notes sheet i've found gravity and satellites troubling, I know most of the general equations, but I was wondering if I could get a set of equations which have been modified to find each measure...

So far ive got Mass? =
    (4(pie)^2)*(R^3)
    _____
    v
    T^2 = (4(pie)^2) * R^3

Has anyone got anymore modifications that I can put on my notes sheet?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You're trying to memorize all modifications of the same equation? Why don't you just practice combining and solving them for the variable you're interested in? Memorizing will make you forget shortly after your exam, deriving them yourself from the base principles that is [itex]F_{centripital}=F_{gravity}[/itex] will last a life time!

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    Nah, we are aloud to bring in a A4 sheet of notes into our exam, and since i'm not very good at deriving equations, I just wanted someone to give me a basic list of equations which would make it easier for me in my exam.

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Well in that case perhaps we should derive a few. For an orbiting satellite the centripetal force is provided by gravity, therefore [itex]F_{centripital}=F_{gravity}[/itex]. [itex] F_{centripital}=m \omega^2 r=m v^2/r[/itex] and [itex]\omega= 2 \pi f=2 \pi /T =v/r[/itex].[itex]F_{gravity}=GmM/r^2[/itex].

Therefore the equations to solve are:
    [tex]m\omega^2 r=\frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]

and

[tex]m \frac{v^2}{r}=\frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]

So far you have solved them for T and M, correctly. If you want all possible combinations you will have to solve them for [itex]v,f,r, \omega[/itex] as well. Try to start with v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook