1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravity Goes Faster Than Light?

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    I would have added this post to the other thread on Gravity, but I thought this was too theoretical of a segway, so it needed its own thread.

But, if gravity fields transmit instantaneously, then wouldn't it be a way of transmitting information faster than light? (Say, a sort of gravity Morse Code if you will).

If we had sensitive enough instruments (and some non-explosive way of making matter flash out of existence), then this would be practical for space missions, no?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I assume you're talking about my thread, in which we are discussing Newtonian gravity. Newtonian gravity is a non-relativistic theory, so it's not compatible with the principles of relativity. In the theory of General Relativity, gravity waves travel at the speed of light, so there is no issue.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    Why would you presume gravity goes faster than light? General relativity says it moves at c.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    Sorry. Thank you Nabeshin. I'm just a classical physics kind of guy, haven't really dabbled in this relativity stuff. Thanks.

But I thought someone in your thread was saying that, if gravity waves propagate at c, then there would be some sort of torque on the earth?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook