Gravity Inside a Hollow Sphere

In summary, the human would experience weightlessness in a hollow sphere at the center of the Earth because there is no net force acting on them.
jayromano
TL;DR Summary
Gravitional forces at the centre of the earth's core
Hello all,

Suppose you created a 20x20 foot hollow sphere at the most central point of the earth’s core. This sphere is protected from the heat and oxygenated, in fact it’s a perfect 22 degree C inhabitable environment for a human.

What kind of gravitational forces would one experience in this sphere? Given the Earth's mass surrounds the human and is relatively balanced across all outward vectors, would one experience something approximating weightlessness?

Thanks,
An insomnaic who is kept awake by these thoughts.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
No gravitational forces there.

Likes Ebi and berkeman
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile:
jayromano said:
would one experience something approximating weightlessness?
Yep!

Do you know why? We can show you using calculus -- would you be comfortable with that?

Likes jayromano
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums! :smile:

Yep!

Do you know why? We can show you using calculus -- would you be comfortable with that?

If you can spare the time to explain using calculus I would be very grateful! But I cannot guarantee I'll understand :)

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
using calculus
I think if you assume force is proportional to mass, you might be able to prove it with a symmetry argument (no calculus).

Keith_McClary said:
I think if you assume force is proportional to mass, you might be able to prove it with a symmetry argument (no calculus).
You can, and that’s the way I learned it.

@jayromano consider the gravitational force on us from any small chunk of the earth. Because we’re at the center, there will be a piece the exact same size and distance away on the opposite side creating the same force but in the opposite direction. These cancel, so there’s no net force on us.

There’s a followup question that goes will keep your insomnia going for a bit longer: why do we experience no net force as weightlessness instead of being pulled in opposite directions?

Likes jayromano and vanhees71
Nugatory said:
There’s a followup question that goes will keep your insomnia going for a bit longer: why do we experience no net force as weightlessness instead of being pulled in opposite directions?

Thanks for the reply Nugatory,

My thinking was that if you are in the sphere, then you will have mass all around you generating an outward force vector, essentially pulling you away from the center of the sphere. However, because the mass around you is relatively balanced in all directions, there would be a state of balance or equilibrium were the sum of all outwards vectors results in no movement in anyone direction. I visualize it a bit like standing on a circular platform, there are many ropes tied to the platform, all heading in different directions, but each rope is perfectly opposite to another rope, there are people pulling on all the ropes with the same amount of force, the net result is no platform movement (like a stalemate tug-of-war).

The way you describe, it sounds like I might be wrong? It sounds like there are somehow inwards and outwards forces which cancel out resulting in no force, rather than just outward forces balancing each other?

jayromano said:
I visualize it a bit like standing on a circular platform, there are many ropes tied to the platform, all heading in different directions, but each rope is perfectly opposite to another rope, there are people pulling on all the ropes with the same amount of force, the net result is no platform movement (like a stalemate tug-of-war).
That's why the platform doesn't move in the tug of war game... but if the people pulling on the ropes are strong enough the platform will be torn apart, breaking into separate pieces each attached to one rope and moving away from one another.

That doesn't happen when the force is generated by gravity between the platform and the surrounding spherical shell, and this is because of the difference between the forces acting on the platform as a whole and the forces acting on any single small piece of the platform. Try working out the forces at the attachment points for the ropes in the tug of war case and the gravity case and you'll see the difference.
(or you could follow @anuttarasammyak's hint above and google for "Gauss's theorem" - the wikipedia page he linked may be more calculus than you want to take on, but Google will throw up some more intuitive explanations).

Likes jayromano

1. What is a hypothetical gravity question?

A hypothetical gravity question is a question that poses a scenario or situation involving gravity and asks for a scientific explanation or prediction.

2. How is a hypothetical gravity question different from a regular gravity question?

A hypothetical gravity question is different from a regular gravity question in that it is not based on a real-life or observable situation, but rather a hypothetical or imagined one.

3. Can hypothetical gravity questions be answered with certainty?

No, hypothetical gravity questions cannot be answered with certainty as they are based on hypothetical scenarios and not real-life observations. However, they can be answered with scientific theories and predictions.

4. What are some examples of hypothetical gravity questions?

Examples of hypothetical gravity questions include: "What would happen if the Earth's gravity suddenly disappeared?", "What if gravity worked in reverse?", or "What if the gravitational pull of the Sun suddenly increased?"

5. How can answering hypothetical gravity questions benefit scientific research?

Answering hypothetical gravity questions can benefit scientific research by allowing scientists to explore and test different theories and predictions in a controlled and hypothetical environment. This can lead to a better understanding of gravity and its effects on the universe.