Calculating Comet Halley's Speed at Perihelion

In summary, to calculate the speed vp of comet Halley at perihelion, you can use the two given distances (closest approach and aphelion) to find the semi-major axis of the orbit. With this and the given period, you can find the orbital velocity at that distance. Then, using conservation of angular momentum, you can find the velocity at the perihelion distance that gives you the same angular momentum. Finally, to find the ratio of the perihelion distance to the aphelion distance, simply divide the two values. It is important to calculate these values in a specific order to avoid rounding errors.
Felix83
Use the following data to calculate the speed vp of comet Halley at perihelion. Comet Halley orbits the Sun with a period of 76 years and in 1986 had a distance of closest approach of 8.90×1010 m and an aphelion distance of 5.30×1012 m.

I'm stumped so far on this one. I'm assuming the closest approach distance is useless info thrown in there. I know I could use keplers law of periods to find what the perihelion distance is, and I know that angular momentum is constant, so I could find the velocity at aphelion if I knew vp, but I can't figure out how to get vp. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Total energy (gravitational potential + kinetic) is also conserved, since only gravity is acting on the comet.

so how would you find vp?

I'll toss you a bone here. The closest approach distance is the perhelion.

oh ok, but still, even if i know both distances, i don't see how i would solve for vp

Felix83 said:
oh ok, but still, even if i know both distances, i don't see how i would solve for vp

There are a number of ways to get this answer, here's one:

Use the the two distances given to find the semi-major axis of the orbit (the average orbital distance.)

With this and the given period of the orbit you can get the orbital velocity at that distance.

This in turn gives you the angular momentum of the comet.

Find the velocity at the perhelion distance which gives you the same angular momentum.

Using conservation of angular momentum relative to the Sun, find the ratio of the comet's perihelion distance Rp to its aphelion distance Ra from the values of vp and va.

since distance of closest approach - perihelion distance and the aphelion distance are given, you would just divide the two to get the ratio. so it would be either 0.0168 or 59.5. however, the computer says both of these are wrong...?

ok using the formula v= (GM(2/ra - 1/a))^.5 i can find va if i calculate a, since i already know ra.

I used kepler's law of periods to calculate a=2.68*10^12m

I plugged that back into the formula along with ra to calculate
va=752m/s , which the computer says is wrong

do you guys get the same numbers when you calculate this?

ok, there are 3 parts to the problem:
1) vp=?
2) va=?
3) rp/ra=?

once you have vp, I could easily find the other 2. i was surfing around the internet and happened to find that vp=54200m/s, which i plugged in and it was correct. then i calculated that va=963m/s and that rp/ra=0.0178 which were both also correct.

then I decided to try v= (GM(2/r - 1/a))^.5 for vp, and sure enough i got 54200m/s. the reason va, and rp/ra were wrong before is that i tried to calculate them before vp, and the rounding changes the answers slightly, so you have to calculate the 3 parts in a specific order.

anyone have a proof of the forumula v= (GM(2/r - 1/a))^.5 ?

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun, and for the formation of galaxies and other celestial bodies.

What are Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion?

Kepler's Laws are three scientific laws that describe the motion of planets around the sun. These laws were developed by astronomer Johannes Kepler in the 17th century and are still used today to explain the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies.

How do Kepler's Laws explain planetary motion?

Kepler's Laws explain planetary motion by stating that planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun, with the sun at one of the foci of the ellipse. The second law states that an imaginary line connecting a planet to the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times, meaning that planets move faster when they are closer to the sun and slower when they are farther away. The third law states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its average distance from the sun.

What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is a mutual attraction between two objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects and the closer they are, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. For objects on or near the surface of the Earth, gravity is a constant force pulling them towards the center of the Earth. In space, the force of gravity between objects can cause them to orbit around each other. The strength of gravity also determines the weight of an object, which is the force with which it is pulled towards the center of the Earth.