How far Halley's comet is - Giancoli, p. 153, Pr. 59, 3rd Ed

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet
In summary, assuming a circular orbit and using Kepler's 3rd Law, the distance of Halley's comet at its farthest point from the Sun is approximately half of the actual value. This is due to the fact that the comet's orbit is actually elliptical and the assumption of a circular orbit is not accurate.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

Period of Halley's comet is 76 years. It comes very close to teh surface of the Sun on its closest approach.

How far out from teh Sun is it at its farthest?

Homework Equations

- since no semimajor/minor axes data given: assume circular orbit.
- Earth orbit about Sun is: [tex]1.496 \times {10^{11}}m[/tex]
- Kepler's 3rd Law:
[tex]\frac{{{r_{Earth}}^3}}{{{r_{Halley}}^3}} = \frac{{{T_{Earth}}^2}}{{{T_{Halley}}^2}} = {76^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in the above numbers gives me a distance of:
r[HalleyOrbit] = [tex]2.68 \times {10^{12}}m[/tex]

Giancoli's back of the book gives:
r[HalleyOrbit] = [tex]5.4 \times {10^{12}}m[/tex]

My answer is approximately half of Giancoli's answer. I suspect I oversimplified the problem, but nothing is said of the geometry of Halley's comet to suggest I should use something other than a circle-orbit...although Giancoli says the comet comes "very close" to the Sun.

Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption you make is not really good. The problem has mentioned both closest and farthest distances, so the orbit should be elliptic instead. For that "it comes very close to the surface of the Sun on its closest approach", we can make a good assumption here: the closest distance d << the farthest distance D, and therefore, d can be ignored. The consequential result is 2a = d+D = D, where a is semi-major axis of the orbit. It's easy to see that D is now twice of your answer, right? :wink:

Have a look at this to see how the real Halley's orbit looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AnimatedOrbitOf1PHalley.gif

1. How often does Halley's comet come around?

The comet comes around approximately every 75-76 years.

2. When was the last time Halley's comet was visible from Earth?

The last time it was visible from Earth was in 1986.

3. How far is Halley's comet from Earth?

The distance between Earth and Halley's comet varies depending on its location in its orbit, but at its closest approach, it can be around 35 million kilometers away.

4. Can I see Halley's comet with the naked eye?

Yes, when it is at its closest approach, it can be seen with the naked eye in a dark sky with minimal light pollution.

5. What is the origin of Halley's comet's name?

The comet is named after astronomer Edmond Halley, who was the first to predict its return in the 18th century based on observations of its previous appearances.