Gravity's affect on the rebounce height of a tennis ball

In summary, a person is seeking help with their son's science project regarding the rebound height of a tennis ball when dropped from varying heights. They are looking for research information on the coefficient of restitution and how it is affected by drop height. The conversation also discusses the impact of factors such as gravity, velocity, friction, air resistance, and deformation on the rebound height.
cluelessmum
I'm sorry - I don't know if I'm posting in the correct area, but I desperately need help.

Homework Statement

My son is doing a science project - his theory is as follows:

When a tennis ball is dropped from a low height, it usually bounces back at a rate approximately 2/3 the height of the initial drop. As the height of the initial drop increases, the bounce-back height ratio of the ball begins to decrease.

I believe that the force of gravity will continue to decrease the tennis balls rebound height to the point where the ball will eventually reach a maximum elevation of recoil.

I'm not looking for anyone to support or deny his hypothesis, just some help on where we can look for research information to help him with his project. We've no idea what "label" to put on this hypothesis - what theories are used to prove or disprove, etc. Can anyone help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to look for is the varation of the coefficeient of restitution with the height from which the ball is dropped.
Here's a wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_Restitution

Remember that with increasing height, you increase the velocity with which the ball hits the ground. The variation of the coefficient will depend on a lot of factors and would be complex to analyse, but I would say that it is propportional to some negative power of drop height. So what you suggest is correct, there really could be a "saturation" value for rebound of the ball, since the height ratios keep dropping, but that height could be really large, and so impractical to find by experiment.

Here goes what i think: the higher the initial height, more friction then more losses due to heat before and on impact. More air resistance is encountered the higher u go, because ur lenghthening the time air resistance is beating on the ball then more losses are encountered. the deformation encountered by the ball may also contribute to the energy losses because this deformation absorbs energy.

1. How does gravity affect the rebounce height of a tennis ball?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. When a tennis ball is thrown or dropped, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls towards the ground. The force of gravity causes the ball to accelerate and gain speed. When the ball hits the ground, the force of gravity also causes it to bounce back up. This means that gravity plays a crucial role in determining the height of the ball's rebound.

2. Does the mass of the tennis ball affect its rebounce height?

Yes, the mass of the tennis ball does affect its rebound height. According to Newton's second law of motion, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. This means that a heavier tennis ball will require more force to overcome the force of gravity and bounce back up to its original height. However, the effect of mass on rebound height is relatively small and other factors, such as the surface of the ground and the elasticity of the ball, also play a role.

3. How does the surface of the ground impact the rebounce height of a tennis ball?

The surface of the ground is an important factor in determining the rebounce height of a tennis ball. A softer surface, such as grass or clay, will absorb more of the ball's energy upon impact and result in a lower rebound height. On the other hand, a harder surface, such as concrete or a hard court, will reflect more of the ball's energy and result in a higher rebound height. This is because the softer surface will compress more and reduce the amount of energy transferred back to the ball upon impact.

4. Does the temperature of the ball affect its rebounce height?

Yes, the temperature of the ball can affect its rebound height. When a tennis ball is heated, its molecules vibrate more rapidly and the ball becomes more elastic. This means that it can store more energy upon impact and bounce back to a higher height. However, if a ball is too cold, its molecules will move slower and the ball will be less elastic, resulting in a lower rebound height. This is why professional tennis players often warm up their balls before a match.

5. How does the elasticity of the ball impact its rebounce height?

The elasticity, or bounciness, of a tennis ball is a major factor in determining its rebound height. A ball with high elasticity will be able to store more energy upon impact and bounce back to a higher height. This is why tennis balls are pressurized and have a rubber core, to increase their elasticity. However, as a ball is used and its rubber core begins to wear down, its elasticity decreases and the rebound height will also decrease.