Does a ball always bounce the same fraction of the previous height?

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a ping pong ball when dropped from different heights and whether the fraction of the previous height it bounces back to remains constant or changes. Some factors that may affect this behavior are the deformation and dissipation of mechanical energy in the ball material, air resistance, and the coefficient of restitution (COR). There is uncertainty in the results and it is suggested that drag may play a role in the decrease of height. Further calculations and experimentation are needed to accurately model the trajectory of the ball.
Tizyo

Homework Statement

I need to know whether a ping pong ball bounces the same fraction of the previous height or does the fraction change? For ex. if I drop the ball from 1m and it bounces back to 0.7m, it decreased by 30%, will it always decrease by 30%, or will the percentage change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done an experiment and it looks like the percentage of the height that it decreases by will increase, in my case first it was decreasing by ~25%, then 20% and by the end it was about 15%, there was a big uncertainty in my results, but it looked like it had a tendency to decrease. Can I explain/prove that somehow? Or is it just the uncertainty playing tricks on me?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many bounces did you measure in the experiment?
What are your calculations for your theoretical bounces?

The collision between the ball and the surface is inelastic and one can't really tell how inelastic. If the coefficient of restitution is variable, then we can have different decrease percentage of height.

Adithyan said:
The collision between the ball and the surface is inelastic and one can't really tell how inelastic. If the coefficient of restitution is variable, then we can have different decrease percentage of height.
To expand on what Adithyan said, the ball deforms when it bounces, and this deformation is accompanied by dissipation of mechanical energy by the ball material. Since the deformation is larger when the ball is dropped from a larger height, there will be a greater dissipation of mechanical energy compared to the deformation resulting from a drop from a smaller height. It's all related to the deformational mechanics of the ball material.

Chet

Which semester of physics is this for?

Also I believe that air resistance will play a role in this. Drag is proportional to v^2 and if the ball doesn't reach the same height as it did the last iteration, it will not reach the same velocity, and thus the difference will be proportional to ##v_{t}^2 - v_{0}^2##

You're probably neglecting drag, but all in all it does play a role in real life situations.

Edit:
Especially if you're using something to the effect of a ping pong ball, which seems to be rather popular these days.

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
To expand on what Adithyan said, the ball deforms when it bounces, and this deformation is accompanied by dissipation of mechanical energy by the ball material. Since the deformation is larger when the ball is dropped from a larger height, there will be a greater dissipation of mechanical energy compared to the deformation resulting from a drop from a smaller height. It's all related to the deformational mechanics of the ball material.

Chet

I get that the coefficient of restitution of the ping pong ball is about 0.82 in the beginning and then it increases up to 0.9.
Also, is the way I calculate COR correct? For ex. this is a sample of my data:

Max height of 2 bounces: 1.04m --> 0.70m
COR=(0.70/1.04)^0.5=0.82

Is this a correct way to calculate COR?

Also, should I ignore the change in COR, because I am trying to model the trajectory of the ball and it gets complicated if the percentage, by which the height of the next bounce decreases, changes.

Chestermiller said:
Since the deformation is larger when the ball is dropped from a larger height, there will be a greater dissipation of mechanical energy compared to the deformation resulting from a drop from a smaller height.
Sure, but why should the fraction of energy lost be higher for a longer drop? (I'm not saying it isn't, but I don't see a suggestion here of why it would be.)
For a ping-pong ball, some of the elasticity might come from the compression of the air inside, but that should be almost adiabatic, and I think it would be a minor contributor anyway.

BiGyElLoWhAt's drag explanation sounds the most likely to me.

haruspex said:
Sure, but why should the fraction of energy lost be higher for a longer drop? (I'm not saying it isn't, but I don't see a suggestion here of why it would be.)
For a ping-pong ball, some of the elasticity might come from the compression of the air inside, but that should be almost adiabatic, and I think it would be a minor contributor anyway.

BiGyElLoWhAt's drag explanation sounds the most likely to me.

So should I ignore it? :D

Tizyo said:
So should I ignore it? :D
That depends on what you are trying to do.
If you are trying to prove experimentally that it always bounces to the same fraction, you've proved it doesn't (barring experimental error).
If you're trying to show that the same fraction of energy is lost each bounce, in the bounce itself, you need some way to correct for loss from drag. That could be hard.
If you're trying to come up with a model for how much is lost each bounce, all causes included, you need to construct a mathematical model that allows for both elastic losses and drag, then plug in the data to determine the parameters.

1. What factors affect the height of a ball bounce?

The height of a ball bounce is affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and the force with which it is initially dropped or thrown.

2. Is the height of a ball bounce always the same on different surfaces?

No, the height of a ball bounce can vary on different surfaces due to differences in surface texture and elasticity. For example, a rubber ball may bounce higher on a hard surface like concrete compared to a soft surface like carpet.

3. Does temperature affect the height of a ball bounce?

Yes, temperature can affect the height of a ball bounce. In general, colder temperatures can cause a ball to bounce lower due to decreased elasticity, while warmer temperatures can result in a higher bounce.

4. How does the height of a ball bounce change over time?

The height of a ball bounce can decrease over time due to the loss of energy through factors such as air resistance and friction. This is known as damping and can result in a ball bouncing lower with each subsequent bounce.

5. Can the height of a ball bounce be calculated or predicted?

Yes, the height of a ball bounce can be calculated or predicted using the laws of physics, such as the law of conservation of energy. Factors such as initial height, surface elasticity, and gravitational force can be used to determine the height of a ball bounce.