GRE Math Subject Test study suggestions

In summary, the best preparation for the GRE Math Subject Test is to do some reading and preparation on your own, or to use a book that is specifically designed for the test.
chimath35
I am looking for suggestions pertaining to preparation for the GRE Math Subject Test. I plan to take it around fall semester. Which text preparation books are the best?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another idea: do a search for Math subject tests, ETS has a page with an actual exam.

Thanks, I have looked over that. Have you taken the test?

chimath35 said:
Thanks, I have looked over that. Have you taken the test?
I did, but it was a long time ago. I didn't do any studying for the GRE beforehand.

Mark44 said:
I did, but it was a long time ago. I didn't do any studying for the GRE beforehand.
Anything you want to share pertaining to your score and undergrad studies would be appreciated.

No, but I am preparing for it. Go to your local B&N and check out the testing section. I will head there tonight and will let you know.

chimath35 said:
Anything you want to share pertaining to your score and undergrad studies would be appreciated.
In those days (1974) there were only two parts of the regular GRE - Verbal and Quantitative. I did well enough on those to join MENSA (which I didn't do). For the Math Advanced Test, I got 750.

My undergrad degree was in Mathematics, which I received a few months after I took the GRE.

WWGD said:
No, but I am preparing for it. Go to your local B&N and check out the testing section. I will head there tonight and will let you know.
Thanks, sounds good.

Mark44 said:
In those days (1974) there were only two parts of the regular GRE - Verbal and Quantitative. I did well enough on those to join MENSA (which I didn't do). For the Math Advanced Test, I got 750.

My undergrad degree was in Mathematics, which I received a few months after I took the GRE.
Nice, thank you.

1. What is the GRE Math Subject Test?

The GRE Math Subject Test is an exam designed to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of mathematics at the undergraduate level. It is used by graduate schools as part of their admissions process for programs in mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. How should I prepare for the GRE Math Subject Test?

It is recommended to start preparing for the GRE Math Subject Test at least 3-6 months in advance. This gives you enough time to review all the necessary content and practice enough sample questions. Resources such as study guides, practice tests, and online courses can be helpful in preparing for the test.

3. What topics are covered on the GRE Math Subject Test?

The GRE Math Subject Test covers a wide range of topics including calculus, algebra, geometry, number theory, and statistics. It is important to review all the topics and not focus on just one or two areas.

4. Can I use a calculator on the GRE Math Subject Test?

No, calculators are not allowed on the GRE Math Subject Test. This is to test your ability to solve math problems without the aid of a calculator. However, you are provided with a basic on-screen calculator for a few select questions on the test.

5. How can I improve my score on the GRE Math Subject Test?

To improve your score on the GRE Math Subject Test, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the test format and types of questions. It is also helpful to review any areas that you struggle with and seek help from a tutor or study group if needed. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and stay calm during the test to perform at your best.