1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Grad Schools for PDE and Probability and Math Subject Test

1. Jan 16, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have 2 questions:

First, where can I find the best graduate schools for PDE & Probability? I'm thinking MIT and NYU are really good, although I could be wrong.

Second, I was wondering if my expected math background is good enough to get into the 90th percentile on the GRE Subject Test:

Calc 1-3
    ODE
    PDE
    Linear Algebra
    Abstract Algebra
    Real Analysis
    Complex Analysis
    Numerical Analysis
    Probability Theory
    Mathematical Statistics
    Capstone Project: Stochastic Processes

I won't have discrete math, number theory, geometry, or topology. Would I need to take courses on these subjects?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2012 #2
    Your course work is fine for the math gre, but that's not what the math gre is about. It's quite a bit different than most upper division math classes.

1) Are you fast? Most people I know who take the math gre have struggled to finish and most can't actually complete the full 66 questions.

2) Hows your calculus? Not analysis, just basic calculus. There are a lot of tricky calculus problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook