Best Grad Schools for PDE and Probability and Math Subject Test

In summary, the conversation is about the best graduate schools for PDE & Probability and the expected math background for the GRE Subject Test. The person is considering MIT and NYU as good options for graduate schools. They are also wondering if their math background is sufficient to score in the 90th percentile on the GRE Subject Test, even though they have not taken courses in discrete math, number theory, geometry, or topology. The other person responds by stating that the math GRE is different from upper division math classes and asks if the person is fast and how their calculus skills are, as there are many tricky calculus problems on the test.
kmgilroy89
Hello,

I have 2 questions:

First, where can I find the best graduate schools for PDE & Probability? I'm thinking MIT and NYU are really good, although I could be wrong.

Second, I was wondering if my expected math background is good enough to get into the 90th percentile on the GRE Subject Test:

Calc 1-3
ODE
PDE
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis
Complex Analysis
Numerical Analysis
Probability Theory
Mathematical Statistics
Capstone Project: Stochastic Processes

I won't have discrete math, number theory, geometry, or topology. Would I need to take courses on these subjects?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your course work is fine for the math gre, but that's not what the math gre is about. It's quite a bit different than most upper division math classes.

1) Are you fast? Most people I know who take the math gre have struggled to finish and most can't actually complete the full 66 questions.

2) Hows your calculus? Not analysis, just basic calculus. There are a lot of tricky calculus problems.

1. What is a PDE and Probability subject test?

A PDE and Probability subject test is an examination that assesses an individual's knowledge and understanding of partial differential equations and probability theory. It is typically required for admission to graduate programs in mathematics or related fields.

2. What are the best graduate schools for PDE and Probability and Math subject test?

Some of the top graduate schools for PDE and Probability and Math subject test include Princeton University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

3. How important is the PDE and Probability subject test for graduate school admissions?

The importance of the PDE and Probability subject test varies among different graduate schools and programs. However, for those interested in pursuing advanced studies in mathematics, it is generally considered an important component of the admission process and can help strengthen your application.

4. What topics are covered on the PDE and Probability subject test?

The PDE and Probability subject test covers a wide range of topics, including partial differential equations, probability distributions, random variables, statistical inference, and stochastic processes. It also includes questions on mathematical methods and techniques used in solving these problems.

5. How can I prepare for the PDE and Probability subject test?

To prepare for the PDE and Probability subject test, it is recommended to review your undergraduate coursework in the relevant subjects and practice solving problems from past exams. You can also find study guides and review materials online or enroll in a test preparation course.