1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Great Mathematics books for Physicists

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    For anyone out there looking to get a good solid grasp of mathematics for Physics the following is a few books i would highly recommend.

- A First course in Calculus by Serge Lang
    - Calculus of several variables by Serge Lang
    - The Calculus Lifesaver: All the Tools You Need to Excel at Calculus by Adrian Banner
    - Ordinary Differential Equations by Morris Tenenbaum, Harry Pollard
    - Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Stanley J. Farlow
    - Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus by H. M Schey

Careful study of these texts in my view will most certainly be worth it for anyone wishing to progress in Physics at undergraduate and graduate level. I am sure there are many other tests out there and would be interested to hear recommendations. I think these books strike a good balance between application and theory.

Cheers
    David.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2
    I agree with div, grad... and Morris and Tenenbaum's ODE's. Excellent books. Have you heard of Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron and Fuller? Is that any good?

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But what about differential geometry, linear algebra, complex analysis, group theory, topology?

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    Here, we used Mathematics for Physicists by Susan M. Lea.

1. Describing the Universe.
    2. Complex Variables.
    3. Differential Equations.
    4. Fourier Series.
    5. Laplace Transforms.
    6. Generalized Functions in Physics.
    7. Fourier Transforms.
    8. The Sturm-Liouville Theory.
    Optional Topics.
    A. Tensors.
    B. Group Theory.
    C. Green's Functions.
    D. Approximate Evaluation of Integrals.
    E. Calculus of Variations.
    Bibliography.
    Appendices.

Pretty complete, straightforward, good examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook