Regarding to Multi-Variable Calculus Books

In summary, the speaker is a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology who is interested in becoming an analytic number theorist. They plan on self-studying vector calculus using Hubbard/Hubbard and Serge Lang as main texts, and are seeking advice on whether to also purchase other recommended books such as Apostol Calculus II, Courant's Calculus & Analysis II, Fleming, Munkres & Spivak's manifolds, and Marsden. The speaker is skeptical of Hubbards and believes Lang will have good coverage and problems. They are seeking advice and input from the forum personnel.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I am a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics & microbiology and an aspiring analytic number theorist. I will be going to self-study the vector calculus by using Hubbard/Hubbard as a main text and Serge Lang as a supplement to Hubbard; this will help in my current self-studying of intro. analysis (Rudin's PMA, Apostol's MA, and Pugh) and also prepare me for upcoming vector calculus course (computational aspect) that I will take during the Summer. Unfortunately, my math department utilizes is own course packet for that vector calculus course, which is not that good...I am planning to purchase both Hubbard and Lang since I heard that both of them cover theories (with Hubbard using the analysis) and applications well. However, a lot of people on this forum seem to recommend Apostol Calculus II, Courant's Calculus & Analysis II, Fleming, Munkres & Spivak's manifolds, and Marsden. Are those books better than Hubbard and Serge Lang? My initial goal is to learn from Hubbard & Lang, and proceed to Spivak & Munkres's books on manifold analysis.

Please give me your advice and input! I will really appreciate them!

PK

Physics news on Phys.org
bacte2013 said:
Dear Physics Forum personnel,

I am a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics & microbiology and an aspiring analytic number theorist. I will be going to self-study the vector calculus by using Hubbard/Hubbard as a main text and Serge Lang as a supplement to Hubbard; this will help in my current self-studying of intro. analysis (Rudin's PMA, Apostol's MA, and Pugh) and also prepare me for upcoming vector calculus course (computational aspect) that I will take during the Summer.

I think it will do more than prepare you. If you did work through those two books, you could perhaps manage to teach that vector calculus course.

Unfortunately, my math department utilizes is own course packet for that vector calculus course, which is not that good...I am planning to purchase both Hubbard and Lang since I heard that both of them cover theories (with Hubbard using the analysis) and applications well. However, a lot of people on this forum seem to recommend Apostol Calculus II, Courant's Calculus & Analysis II, Fleming, Munkres & Spivak's manifolds, and Marsden. Are those books better than Hubbard and Serge Lang?

I can only comment on Marsden & Tromba. It is quite calculational in the sense that a lot of the learning is through problems and repetition. It's good because of the coverage, almost every aspect has problems that test one quite thoroughly. But I wish it was more elegant because it feels sort of crude.

I agree with your choice of Lang, it seems to have good coverage and will have good problems as well. Hubbards, what can I say, I'm skeptical that a subject this difficult can be delivered in a fashion sufficiently perfect to justify the eulogism this book has received.

Last edited:

1. What is multi-variable calculus?

Multi-variable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions with multiple independent variables.

2. What topics are typically covered in a multi-variable calculus book?

Topics covered in a multi-variable calculus book include vectors, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and applications to physics and engineering problems.

3. What is the difference between single-variable and multi-variable calculus?

The main difference between single-variable and multi-variable calculus is the number of independent variables involved. Single-variable calculus deals with functions of a single independent variable, while multi-variable calculus deals with functions of multiple independent variables.

4. Is multi-variable calculus necessary for a career in science or engineering?

Yes, multi-variable calculus is an important tool for understanding and solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It allows for more complex and realistic models to be developed and analyzed.

5. Are there any recommended multi-variable calculus books for beginners?

Some recommended multi-variable calculus books for beginners include "Calculus: Multivariable" by James Stewart, "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards, and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.