Great one-liners from PF members

• Thread starter sysprog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that... doesn't really exist.
sysprog
Sometimes I see a line (or maybe a brief multiline) post or part of a post in the Physics Forums that I think is pithy, witty, and maybe acerbically funny. I invite other members to post accordingly. I'll start with a few recent ones:
Well, the 3rd law is a bit problematic in relativity. @vanhees71
Crayons have their limitations. @fresh_42
I'm puzzled that you're puzzled that @vanhees71 is puzzled. @etotheipi

I hope that this will be fun.

• Haha
Likes Math100, Juanda, TonyStewart and 13 others
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Thinking outside the box only works well when you first understand what's IN the box.

• Informative
Likes andresB, Juanda, Astronuc and 22 others
The thread it's in (here) no longer allows quotes, but one of mine is @PAllen's
Note, we are not called the 'idle speculation without understanding or knowledge forums'

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Keith_McClary and 9 others
Another is @Nugatory (here) on wave particle duality

Pillows are fuzzy, and tables have four legs, but when you encounter a sheep (which is fuzzy like a pillow and has four legs like a table) you aren't going to find the concept of "table/pillow duality" very helpful.

• Haha
Likes Maarten Havinga, FuzzySphere, CalcNerd and 18 others
Another is from Marcus (who has since, sadly, left us for that big physics conference in the sky)

In science the really interesting questions are often surrounded by people confidently asserting conflicting ideas.

Likes AndreasC, FuzzySphere, Astronuc and 5 others
Not from PF, but this (by John Wheeler) just has to get in:

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once and space is what keeps it all from happening to me.

• Haha
Likes FuzzySphere, frost_zero, Astronuc and 15 others
And another, I'm pretty sure from PF but I can't find the thread:
we build concepts to describe the universe. When our concepts break down, it is not the universe's problem.

Likes CalcNerd, pinball1970, Demystifier and 5 others
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes Evo, DennisN, hutchphd and 4 others
Once I was confused that why ordered motion is not included in internal energy and then I posted it here and then I got very advanced level answers and due to which I thought it is not of my level so I have to remember it but then vanadium gave this answer
Vanadium 50 said:
Because wind and heat are different things.
And it clicked.

• Informative
Likes Hillbillychemist, 2milehi, Evo and 3 others
You want fries with that?

Likes Algr, CalcNerd and (deleted member)
Dr. Courtney said:
You want fries with that?

I think that's Art History Forums.

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, PhDeezNutz, Dr. Courtney and 1 other person
I like this description of Homeopathy from @russ_watters in a man made verses 'natural' medicine discussion.

'The ultimate example is homeopathy, which is perfectly safe because it contains nothing at all and therefore does nothing; good or bad.'

Likes PhDeezNutz, Evo, sysprog and 3 others
pinball1970 said:
I like this description of Homeopathy from @russ_watters in a man made verses 'natural' medicine discussion.

'The ultimate example is homeopathy, which is perfectly safe because it contains nothing at all and therefore does nothing; good or bad.'
Oh but just a moment please, in homeopathy, isn't an elixir purported to do more if it contains less but not zero active ingredient? ##-## e.g. XXX (ten times more dilute than XX) is 'stronger' (presumedly because it more acutely stimulates sympathicomimetic response) than XX is? I think that such accountings were mainly from sellers who were pushing products that had low alcohol content. :wink:

Likes Frigus
Hear about the guy who overdosed on his homeopathic medication?
He forgot to take it.

• Haha
Likes Grelbr42, Hornbein, dextercioby and 14 others
sysprog said:
Oh but just a moment please, in homeopathy, isn't an elixir purported to do more if it contains less but not zero active ingredient? ##-## e.g. XXX (ten times more dilute than XX) is 'stronger' (presumedly because it more acutely stimulates sympathicomimetic response) than XX is? I think that such accountings were mainly from sellers who were pushing products that had low alcohol content. :wink:
Your error is the "not zero". True homeopatic medicines contain none of the original medication. (*)

* EDIT: ok, actually, I think the real statistic is that something like 1 our of 100 doses actually will contain one molecule of the original medicine so "absolutely none" is only true 99 times out of 100, but the one molecule doesn't DO anything in any case.

Likes CalcNerd, Evo and pinball1970
phinds said:
Your error is the "not zero". True homeopatic medicines contain none of the original medication. (*)

* EDIT: ok, actually, I think the real statistic is that something like 1 our of 100 doses actually will contain one molecule of the original medicine so "absolutely none" is only true 99 times out of 100, but the one molecule doesn't DO anything in any case.

I remember we once had an exam question about the homeopathic solution Arsenic album, which was said to be usually sold at 30D (i.e. stock diluted by 1 in 10, repeated 30 times). In order to consume a fatal dose of just 0.1g of ##\text{As}_2 \text{O}_3##, you would need to drink a volume of liquid about... 4500 times the volume of the Earth ?:)

And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!

Likes Evo and sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
Hear about the guy who overdosed on his homeopathic medication?
He forgot to take it.
There's also the fact that anyone prescribing homeopathic medicine should be required to accept homeopathic payment which of course is an empty envelope that used to have money in it.

• Haha
Likes AndreasC, Grelbr42, Laroxe and 11 others
NOOO, Not the RED Button ... Don't push the red button ! @davenn

1596730525589.png

jim hardy said:
Yet the backup of the backup is still a bunch of analog recorders and simple analog devices, wired to remote analog sensors scattered around the region, and wired back to the center with dedicated analog copper wires.

photo courtesy of argental...

That's a good combination - a robust analog system with a sophisticated computer to monitor and troubleshoot it . Our analog equipment outlasted four generations of computers.

I repaired computers long enough to appreciate their failure modes. Hence my signature.

old jim

"Never trust a computer with anything important."

Likes 2milehi, pinball1970, epenguin and 2 others
I'm not sure why I found this exchange as funny as I did:

Pidge; "I was wondering if anybody knew any thin material that was relatively light weight, cheap, and as strong as wood."​
Vanadium 50; "Wood is relatively light weight, cheap, and exactly as strong as wood."​

ref

• Haha
Likes Grelbr42, CalcNerd, PhDeezNutz and 15 others
OmCheeto said:
Vanadium 50: Wood is relatively light weight, cheap, and exactly as strong as wood

He's not wrong.

• Wow
Likes PhDeezNutz, russ_watters and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
He's not wrong.
... and thin. Veneer is pretty thin.

Likes BillTre
Yes. Probabilities greater than 1 or less than 0 are not meaningful. @Dale

Likes Dale and pinball1970
How are you guys searching for these? By poster? Subject? I am trying to narrow it down.
One algorithm
Cosmology, no more than 10 replies, a much asked question. This gives time for questions, misconception, one liners, thread closed.
Longer threads indicate a meaningful discussion which is less likely to end in a slam dunk.

@phinds helped this guy out of his misconception below.
Trailblzn said:
Is the Universe bigger than we think?
It would be REALLY REALLY hard for that to be the case since the current consensus (not an established fact) is that the universe is infinite in extent. You can't GET bigger than that.

Likes Evo and sysprog
Another from @russ_watters

'What are the other processes that can be done to tell time?'

russ_watters 'Any process that takes a known amount of time can be used to tell time.'

• Haha
Likes Ivan Seeking, Keith_McClary, Evo and 2 others
This was an odd one, some guy smacked his head on his own car door and wanted to know how many Gs he hit his head with. Having first established he had seen a Dr I tried to estimate it with a few calculations but was messing it up, missing stuff out so I posted below. Phinds helped out.
pinball1970 said:
I have a feeling the smart guys are having fun watching me fumble around with this a little.
@phinds 'I don't know about the smart guys but us dumb guys are beginning to wonder why the OP has this obsession with g forces to his head. @Tozos are you thinking of applying for a job as a crash dummy?'

Likes Keith_McClary, Evo, strangerep and 1 other person
A discussion about anti vaxers. @phinds again'Anti-vaxers are immune to logic.'

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, Demystifier, Evo and 9 others
etotheipi said:
And to obtain just one arsenic atom, you would need to buy 285 million one ounce bottles!
Maybe I'm not getting too little enough arsenic in my drinking water ##\cdots##

• Haha
Likes Evo
Anther from @Vanadium 50: A gentleman is someone who knows how to play trombone. But doesn't.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes FuzzySphere, CalcNerd, Demystifier and 9 others
sysprog said:
Anther from @Vanadium 50: A gentleman is someone who knows how to play trombone. But doesn't.
In all fairness, I must add that @Vanadium 50 did not say that he originated this remark, but I had not previously encountered it.

I worked with a guy for over thirty years before he told me he was an accordion player. "I just don't talk about it," he said.

Likes russ_watters, Evo, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
Well, since The Far Side is back..
1597250942150.png

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, davenn, Keith_McClary and 7 others
gmax137 said:
I worked with a guy for over thirty years before he told me he was an accordion player. "I just don't talk about it," he said.
As a not-so-great accordion player myself, I can relate ##-## I recall Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty in the movie "Ishtar" making a song entitled "Dangerous Business" that included them singing the words "if you admit that you can play the accordion, no-one will hire you in a rock and roll band":

Likes mathwonk
@PeroK's recent "A proof no longer works if you screw it up! "

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, Evo, sysprog and 7 others
An extremely important observation:
russ_watters said:
You'll be a lot happier if you don't try to base your happiness on other peoples' choices. You can state your opinion, but then you have to let it go. Otherwise you create unhappiness for both of you.
My mother says the exact same thing.

Likes Evo