1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Greek student going for grad studies in USA

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm freshman studying physics in the University of Patras (an unknown but demanding unversity but in Greece). My grades are good (3.2-3.7/4.0) and I have excellent recommendations. I just wanna know what are the odds of getting into a great university in the USA (MIT, Princeton, Berkeley, CalTech etc) in 3 years from now. Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    Hello!

First off, you're still a freshman. Don't worry about grad school just yet! College is for more than finding what you want to do immediately and getting tunnel vision. You may decide to go into a different field entirely, or possibly not want to do grad school at all (and from what I understand, grad school may get interrupted by mandatory military service).

Those are fine grades for now, but you'll need to boost them a little. The most important thing for getting into grad school is research experience, so try to find a professor who will let you conduct research with them. It's a great way to get extra experience in the field and to discover if that's what you want to do.

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    Well, thing is that in Greek universities research where undergraduates are involved is almost non-existant and that's what's worrying me...

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    the same situation in Turkey.
    3.2 is not sufficient for MIT, princeton, caltech, etc. but 3.7 may be OK.
    you need a high PhysicsGRE score, too.
    your English is excellent. dont worry about TOEFL score.

I have a Bs degree in physics from by far the best university of Turkey. (bogazici university, 1988)
    as far as I remember;

In 1988, a ME-phys double major student with 3.82 GPA and 91 percent PhysicsGRE score was accepted by princeton physics departmet with full financial aid.
    he was the best of both engineering students and science students in our university.
    in other words, he was the best student of the best university of Turkey.

in 1985, a physics student, in our university, with about 3.6 or 3.7 GPA and 98 percent physGRE score was accepted by Caltech with full financial aid.

in 1982, a physics sudent in our university was accepted by MIT with full financial aid but I dont have any information about his GPA and GRE scores.

when I visit the website of phys department of our university: (physics department of bogazici university)
    I see, today, we have two profesors with PhD's from MIT. ( one of them part-time)
    and one proffessor with a PhD from Caltech.

best wishes and good luck! :)

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. May 31, 2012 #5
    Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook