Green's function for the Helmholtz equation

In summary, the given function G(x,x') is a Green's function for the 1D Helmholtz equation, as it satisfies the equation ##\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + k^2 \right) G(x,x') = \delta(x-x')##. This is shown by the use of the example ##f(x)=|x|##, where a discontinuity in the first derivative results in a delta function in the second derivative.
DrClaude
Mentor

Homework Statement

Show that
$$
G(x,x') = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} \frac{1}{2ik} e^{i k (x-x')} & x > x' \\ \frac{1}{2ik} e^{-i k (x-x')} & x < x' \end{array} \right.
$$
is a Green's function for the 1D Helmholtz equation, i.e.,
$$
\left( \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + k^2 \right) G(x,x') = \delta(x-x')
$$

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having problems making a Dirac delta appear. I get that the first derivative is discontinuous, but the second derivative is continuous. I don't see any singularity appearing when putting the Green's function into the Helmholtz equation.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:

Homework Statement

Show that
$$
G(x,x') = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} \frac{1}{2ik} e^{i k (x-x')} & x > x' \\ \frac{1}{2ik} e^{-i k (x-x')} & x < x' \end{array} \right.
$$
is a Green's function for the 1D Helmholtz equation, i.e.,
$$
\left( \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + k^2 \right) G(x,x') = \delta(x-x')
$$

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having problems making a Dirac delta appear. I get that the first derivative is discontinuous, but the second derivative is continuous. I don't see any singularity appearing when putting the Green's function into the Helmholtz equation.

Any help appreciated.

You should show some of your work. But take the example of ##f(x)=|x|##. The first derivative is discontinuous at 0. Away from 0 the second derivative is zero. If you want to integrate the second derivative to get the first derivative you need to put a delta function at 0. A discontinuity in the first derivative means "delta function" in the second.

Likes DrClaude
Dick said:
You should show some of your work.
You are right, I should've have set a better example.

Dick said:
But take the example of ##f(x)=|x|##. The first derivative is discontinuous at 0. Away from 0 the second derivative is zero. If you want to integrate the second derivative to get the first derivative you need to put a delta function at 0. A discontinuity in the first derivative means "delta function" in the second.
I see now that I have
$$
G(x,x') = \frac{1}{2ik} e^{i k |x-x'|}
$$
so
$$
\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} e^{i k |x-x'|} = 2 i k \delta(x-x') - k^2 e^{i k |x-x'|}
$$
and ##G(x,x')## is indeed a Green's function.

What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of wave phenomena in a given medium. It is often used to model electromagnetic and acoustic waves, among others.

What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve certain types of differential equations, including the Helmholtz equation. It represents the response of a system to a point source or impulse, and can be used to find the solution for a general input function.

How is Green's function used in the context of the Helmholtz equation?

In the context of the Helmholtz equation, Green's function can be used to find the solution for a specific input function by convolving it with the Green's function. This allows for a more efficient and systematic approach to solving the equation, especially for more complex systems.

What properties does Green's function for the Helmholtz equation possess?

Green's function for the Helmholtz equation is a fundamental solution, meaning it satisfies the equation with a delta function as the input function. It also exhibits symmetry and causality, and can be decomposed into a real and imaginary part to represent the amplitude and phase of the wave solution.

What are some applications of Green's function for the Helmholtz equation?

Green's function for the Helmholtz equation has many practical applications, including solving for the propagation of electromagnetic and acoustic waves in various media, designing antennas and waveguides, and modeling scattering and diffraction phenomena.