Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation

In summary, the Helmholtz equation is a differential equation with the Green's function G as its solution. G is defined as i exp[ik*magnitude of x]/2K and is also the solution to the inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation with a Dirac delta function as the forcing term. The attempt at a solution involved dividing G(x) into two intervals and taking the first and second derivatives, but the solution could not be reached.
Aboud2002

Homework Statement

it is stated in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_equation

that "Here, G is the Green's function of this equation, that is, the solution to the inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation with ƒ equaling the Dirac delta function, so G satisfies

[del^2 + K^2]G(x)=-δ(x)

where G(x)={i exp[ik*magnitude of x]}/2K

Homework Equations

I tried to satisfy this differential equation but I couldn't,

The Attempt at a Solution

First we have G(x)={iexp[ik*maginude of x]}/2k

I defined G(x) into two intervals when x>0 G will have + sign
when x<0 G will have - sign

so the first derivative will be G'(x)= -{exp[ikx]}/2

G''(x) = -ik{exp[ikx]}/2

if I took G''+k^2G it will give me zero not -δ(x) how I can reach the right handside of Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation

someone give me hint

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone helps me in hints to satisfy the helmholtz inhomogenous equa..:'(((

What is the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation?

The Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves in a non-uniform medium. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as sound, light, and electromagnetic waves.

What is the difference between the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation and the Homogeneous Helmholtz equation?

The Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation includes a source term, while the Homogeneous Helmholtz equation does not. This source term represents the external forces or sources that are acting on the system and causing the waves to propagate.

What are some applications of the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation?

The Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation has many applications in various fields, including acoustics, optics, electromagnetics, and seismology. It is used to model the propagation of sound waves in different environments, the behavior of light in non-uniform media, and the effects of external sources on electromagnetic fields.

What are the boundary conditions for solving the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation?

The boundary conditions for the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation depend on the specific problem being modeled. In general, they specify the values of the wave function and its derivatives at the boundaries of the system. These boundary conditions are crucial for obtaining a unique solution to the equation.

What are some numerical methods for solving the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation?

Some common numerical methods for solving the Inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and boundary element methods. These methods discretize the equation and solve it iteratively to obtain an approximate solution. Advanced techniques, such as spectral methods, can also be used for more accurate solutions.