Green's identities for Laplacian-squared

• Thread starter TaPaKaH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, the conversation discusses deriving Green's identities for a partial differential operator and computing the adjoint operator. The lecture notes provide the first and second Green's identities, which are used to solve the exercise. The steps involved are assuming the functions are in certain classes, using partial integration and the given identities to find the expressions for Q and the adjoint operator. The conversation also includes a written out solution for the exercise.
TaPaKaH

Homework Statement

a) Derive Green's identities in local and integral form for the partial differential operator ##\triangle^2##.
b) Compute the adjoint operator ##(\triangle^2)^*##.

2. Relevant information
##U\subset\mathbb{R}^n##, ##u:U\to\mathbb{R}##, differential operator ##Lu##.
In the lecture notes it is given that:
First Green's identity: ##\int_U\left[(Lu)v-u(L^*v)\right]dx=0## for any U and ##u,v\in C_0^\infty(U)##.
Second Green's identity: ##\int_U\left[(Lu)v-u(L^*v)\right]dx=\int_{\partial U}QndS## for some field Q and ##u,v\in C^\infty(U)##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't done PDEs in a long while, do I get it right that the order of actions to solve the exercise would be:
1) Assume ##u,v\in C_0^\infty(U)##, by partial integration obtain ##\int_U(\triangle^2u)vdx= \int_Uu(\triangle^2v)dx## (am not fully sure if this holds, will need to verify) meaning via 1st Green's identity that ##(\triangle^2)^*=\triangle^2##.
2) Plug this into 2nd Green's identity, assume ##u,v\in C^\infty(U)## and get the expression for Q.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the following identity$$\int_U\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_i^2}vdx=-\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_i}vn_i dS+\int_{\partial U}u\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}n_idS-\int_Uu\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}dx$$
(where ##n_i## is i-th coordinate of the orthogonal vector) I did some writing out
$$\int_U(\bigtriangleup^2u)vdx=\int_U \bigtriangleup\left(\sum_{j=1}^n\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\right)vdx=\int_U\left(\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\frac{\partial^4u}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}\right)vdx=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\int_U \frac{\partial^4u}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}vdx=$$
$$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\left(-\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}vn_idS+\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}n_idS-\int_U\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}dx\right)=$$
$$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\left(\int_{\partial U}\left(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}v\right)n_idS+\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}n_jdS-\int_{\partial U}u\frac{\partial^3v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j}n_jdS+\int_Uu\frac{\partial^4v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}dx\right)=$$
$$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\int_{\partial U}\left(\left(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}v\right)n_i+\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}-u\frac{\partial^3v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j}\right)n_j\right)dS+\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n \int_Uu\frac{\partial^4v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}dx=$$
$$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\int_{\partial U}\left(\left(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}v\right)n_i+\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}-u\frac{\partial^3v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j}\right)n_j\right)dS+\int_Uu(\bigtriangleup^2v)dx$$

Could anyone suggest a way to simplify the double sum in the last expression?

EDIT: nevermind, seem to have worked it out myself

Last edited:

1. What are Green's identities for Laplacian-squared?

Green's identities for Laplacian-squared are a set of two equations that relate the Laplacian-squared operator to the surface integrals of functions and their derivatives.

2. How are Green's identities for Laplacian-squared derived?

Green's identities for Laplacian-squared are derived from the Green's theorem and the divergence theorem in vector calculus.

3. What is the significance of Green's identities for Laplacian-squared in science?

Green's identities for Laplacian-squared are important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve boundary value problems and to study the behavior of physical systems.

4. Can Green's identities for Laplacian-squared be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Green's identities for Laplacian-squared can be extended to any number of dimensions. In higher dimensions, the Laplacian-squared operator is replaced by the Laplacian to the power of k, where k is the dimension of the space.

5. Are there any applications of Green's identities for Laplacian-squared in real-world problems?

Yes, Green's identities for Laplacian-squared have many applications in real-world problems, such as in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetism. They are also used in image and signal processing to enhance and analyze images and signals.