1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Green's identities for Laplacian-squared

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Derive Green's identities in local and integral form for the partial differential operator ##\triangle^2##.
    b) Compute the adjoint operator ##(\triangle^2)^*##.

2. Relevant information
    ##U\subset\mathbb{R}^n##, ##u:U\to\mathbb{R}##, differential operator ##Lu##.
    In the lecture notes it is given that:
    First Green's identity: ##\int_U\left[(Lu)v-u(L^*v)\right]dx=0## for any U and ##u,v\in C_0^\infty(U)##.
    Second Green's identity: ##\int_U\left[(Lu)v-u(L^*v)\right]dx=\int_{\partial U}QndS## for some field Q and ##u,v\in C^\infty(U)##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I haven't done PDEs in a long while, do I get it right that the order of actions to solve the exercise would be:
    1) Assume ##u,v\in C_0^\infty(U)##, by partial integration obtain ##\int_U(\triangle^2u)vdx= \int_Uu(\triangle^2v)dx## (am not fully sure if this holds, will need to verify) meaning via 1st Green's identity that ##(\triangle^2)^*=\triangle^2##.
    2) Plug this into 2nd Green's identity, assume ##u,v\in C^\infty(U)## and get the expression for Q.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2
    Using the following identity$$\int_U\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x_i^2}vdx=-\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_i}vn_i dS+\int_{\partial U}u\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}n_idS-\int_Uu\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}dx$$
    (where ##n_i## is i-th coordinate of the orthogonal vector) I did some writing out
    $$\int_U(\bigtriangleup^2u)vdx=\int_U \bigtriangleup\left(\sum_{j=1}^n\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\right)vdx=\int_U\left(\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\frac{\partial^4u}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}\right)vdx=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\int_U \frac{\partial^4u}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}vdx=$$
    $$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\left(-\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}vn_idS+\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}n_idS-\int_U\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}dx\right)=$$
    $$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\left(\int_{\partial U}\left(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}v\right)n_idS+\int_{\partial U}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}n_jdS-\int_{\partial U}u\frac{\partial^3v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j}n_jdS+\int_Uu\frac{\partial^4v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}dx\right)=$$
    $$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\int_{\partial U}\left(\left(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}v\right)n_i+\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}-u\frac{\partial^3v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j}\right)n_j\right)dS+\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n \int_Uu\frac{\partial^4v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j^2}dx=$$
    $$=\sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n\int_{\partial U}\left(\left(\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x_j^2}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x_i}-\frac{\partial^3u}{\partial x_i\partial x_j^2}v\right)n_i+\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x_j}\frac{\partial^2v}{\partial x_i^2}-u\frac{\partial^3v}{\partial x_i^2\partial x_j}\right)n_j\right)dS+\int_Uu(\bigtriangleup^2v)dx$$

Could anyone suggest a way to simplify the double sum in the last expression?

EDIT: nevermind, seem to have worked it out myself

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook