1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths Electrodynamics book: Electric potential

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is from Prob. 2.25
    Two point charges with separation d, P is a point at a distance z above the mid-point of the charges.
    The last sentence asked if one of the positive charges is changed to a negative one, what is the potential at P? What field does it suggest? Explain the discrepancy.

2. Relevant equations
    E = -grad V

3. The attempt at a solution
    V=0 obviously
    E = -grad V = 0
    What is the reason behind that gives this result?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, [itex]-\vec{\nabla}V=\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\hat{x}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial y}\hat{y}+\frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat{z}[/itex] Since you only know V on the z-axis, you cannot possibly calculate [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial y}}[/itex]. Clearly, any E-field will point in the x-direction, and so it is necessary to determine V(x,y,z) at points off of the z-axis to find [itex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/itex] and hence E.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  4. Oct 13, 2008 #3

E&M

I had exactly the same question and I kind of understand what you are saying but since V is scalar and E is vector, isn't V supposed to possess all the information that the three components of E possess? Would you please suggest me how you would compute E = -[tex]\nabla V [/tex] in this case and compare it with calculation using Gauss's Law?

Thanks

5. Oct 13, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation [itex]\vec{E}=-\vec{\nabla}V[/itex] applies to V(x,y,z) (in Cartesian coordinates anyways). The potential you've calculated is actually V(0,0,z) (the -potential on the z-axis) and so you do not know how V varies with x or y, and you cannot use V(0,0,z) to compute E. If you wanted to compute E from the potential, then you would need to find the potential at a general point (x,y,z) (or even just a point on the x-axis in this case) first and use that potential.

In some cases, you know from symmetry that E points in the z direction and so knowing the functional dependence of V(z) is enough. In this case however, E points in the x direction and so you need to know the functional dependence of V(x).

6. Oct 13, 2008 #5

E&M

Thanks,

I also have another question...
    Two infinite parallel plates separated by a distance s are at potential 0 and V_0
    a) Use Poisson's eqn to find potential V in the region between the plates where the space charge density is rho = rho_0(x/s). The distance x is measured from the plate at 0 potential.
    b)What are the charge densities in the plate?

For this problem, I started with number of ways but none of them seem to be working.

7. Oct 13, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should start a new thread for that problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?