1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Griffiths QM 1st vs 2nd editions

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I have the first edition of Griffiths's "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" and am considering using it (or rather the second edition) for a junior/senior level undergraduate course next spring. What makes the second edition different? I should just get a copy, I know, but I'll probably have to buy it myself. The class is going to be so small that I doubt the publisher would want to give me a freebie.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the second edition, but not the first. The preface in the second edition talks about the differences between the editions, but I don't have my book at home.

The publisher's website states that differences include

"Completely rewritten chapter on the formalism of quantum mechanics — Chapter 3.

Streamlines the treatment for more effective instructor presentation and student comprehension.

Many added problems and worked examples.

Introduces students to computer-based material using Mathematica.

75 new problems and 12 new worked examples."

4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the preface to the second edition:

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    I think they shortened the 3rd chapter on linear algebra by a bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?