Griffiths Quantum Mechanics Problem 1.18: Characteristic Size of System

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intermolecular distance and its relation to the volume and number of particles in a system. While one person envisions the particles as a sphere, the other imagines them as a box. This difference results in a significant factor of (4π/3)^2/5 ≈ 1.8. The conversation also touches on the idea of filling a box with oranges and the importance of choosing an appropriate shape for computational ease.
yucheng
Homework Statement
The characteristic size (length) of ideal gas where quantum effects are non-negligible is the intermolecular distance, ##d##
Relevant Equations
##pV = Nk_BT##
intermolecular distance means distance between particles. So, I imagine a sphere.

$$\frac{4}{3} \pi d^3 = \frac{V}{N}$$

However, Griffitfhs pictures a box instead, where

$$d^3 = \frac{V}{N}$$

And the difference between both models is a factor of ##(4\pi/3)^{2/5} \approx 1.8##, which is fairly large...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you fill a box with oranges, does it fill the space completely? Griffiths is correct

• Haha
Likes yucheng
hutchphd said:
If you fill a box with oranges, does it fill the space completely? Griffiths is correct
I think I understand... So I guess I should have searched for a reliable shape to fill the whole space!

And usually we imagine the box to be square, for computational convenience...

Likes yucheng

1. What is the purpose of Griffiths Quantum Mechanics Problem 1.18?

The purpose of this problem is to understand the concept of characteristic size of a system in quantum mechanics. It involves calculating the average position and momentum of a particle in a box and using these values to determine the characteristic size of the system.

2. How is the characteristic size of a system determined in this problem?

In this problem, the characteristic size of a system is determined by finding the root-mean-square (RMS) position of the particle in a box. This is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared position values.

3. What is the significance of the characteristic size of a system in quantum mechanics?

The characteristic size of a system is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it represents the scale at which the quantum behavior of a particle is observed. It also helps in understanding the confinement of particles in a potential well and the quantization of energy levels.

4. Can the characteristic size of a system be measured experimentally?

Yes, the characteristic size of a system can be measured experimentally by measuring the RMS position of a particle in a box. This can be done using various techniques such as scattering experiments or spectroscopy.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the characteristic size of a system in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the concept of characteristic size of a system has many real-world applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and materials, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in a confined space, and in the development of quantum technologies.