1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grindstone angular acceleration

1. Oct 23, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Grindstone angular acceleration

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Object: a disk-shaped grindstone of mass 1.69 kg and radius 7.95 cm that operates at 707 rev/min. When the power is shut off, you time the grindstone and find it takes 32.1 s for it to stop rotating. What is the angular acceleration of the grindstone? (Assume constant angular acceleration.)

2. Relevant equations
    W=.5mv^2
    V=distance/t
    W=Wo+at
    a=alpha, which is angular acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    V=[707*(2pi/60)]/32.1 = 2.31m/s
    W=0
    Wo=.5(1.69)(4.50^2) = 4.50J
    0=4.50+a(32.1)
    therefore, a=-.140 rad/s^2

however, this is the wrong answer according to the program. It didn't have a problem with the units though, so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please point out any wrong assumptions or completely wrong or silly mistakes. THANK YOU!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You seem to have W representing two different things here. I don't know what you are trying to do with the first equation you have, but it's not for rotational motion. Also, Wo is your initial angular velocity, I don't understand why you are trying to make it into energy?:confused:

All you need for this is your third equation. Change the 707 rev/min into rad/s, that is your Wo. Solve for the angular acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?