1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ground State of the Simple Harmonic Oscillator in p-space

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is in the ground state of a simple harmonic oscillator, potential → V(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    Imagine that you are in the ground state |0⟩ of the 1DSHO, and you operate on it with the momentum operator p, in terms of the a and a† operators. What is the eigenstate? Then, how would you represent this operation in terms of a probability density in momentum space?

2. Relevant equations
    p=i[itex]\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m ω}{2}}[/itex](a†-a)
    Fourier Transform, x→p-space

3. The attempt at a solution
    p|0⟩=i[itex]\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m ω}{2}}[/itex]|1⟩
    So now the particle is in the first excited state of the SHO

But I don't understand the next part of the problem. How can I represent this terms of probability density in p-space?

I can perform the Fourier Transform and find that,

[itex]\Phi[/itex](p,t)=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{\pi \hbar}{m ω}[/itex])[itex]^{\frac{1}{4}}[/itex] e[itex]^{\frac{-p^{2}}{2 \hbar m ω} - \frac{i t ω}{2}}[/itex]

And the probability density is,

|[itex]\Phi[/itex](p,t)|[itex]^{2}[/itex]=2[itex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi \hbar}{m ω}}[/itex] e[itex]^{\frac{-p^{2}}{\hbar m ω}}[/itex]

I don't believe I understand what this part of the question is asking. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It doesn't make sense to me either. Is that the problem statement exactly as it was given to you?

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3
    Yes. Word for word.

Maybe it is supposed to be something like; "Find the expectation value of p...and then do the same thing in p-space."
    But that seems too simple and we've already covered that. The p operator in p-space is just p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted