Ground State of the Simple Harmonic Oscillator in p-space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
qubyte
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle is in the ground state of a simple harmonic oscillator, potential → V(x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mω[itex]^{2}[/itex]x[itex]^{2}[/itex]
Imagine that you are in the ground state |0⟩ of the 1DSHO, and you operate on it with the momentum operator p, in terms of the a and a† operators. What is the eigenstate? Then, how would you represent this operation in terms of a probability density in momentum space?

Homework Equations


p=i[itex]\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m ω}{2}}[/itex](a†-a)
Fourier Transform, x→p-space

The Attempt at a Solution


p|0⟩=i[itex]\sqrt{\frac{\hbar m ω}{2}}[/itex]|1⟩
So now the particle is in the first excited state of the SHO

But I don't understand the next part of the problem. How can I represent this terms of probability density in p-space?

I can perform the Fourier Transform and find that,

[itex]\Phi[/itex](p,t)=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]([itex]\frac{\pi \hbar}{m ω}[/itex])[itex]^{\frac{1}{4}}[/itex] e[itex]^{\frac{-p^{2}}{2 \hbar m ω} - \frac{i t ω}{2}}[/itex]

And the probability density is,

|[itex]\Phi[/itex](p,t)|[itex]^{2}[/itex]=2[itex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi \hbar}{m ω}}[/itex] e[itex]^{\frac{-p^{2}}{\hbar m ω}}[/itex]

I don't believe I understand what this part of the question is asking. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make sense to me either. Is that the problem statement exactly as it was given to you?
 
Yes. Word for word.

Maybe it is supposed to be something like; "Find the expectation value of p...and then do the same thing in p-space."
But that seems too simple and we've already covered that. The p operator in p-space is just p.