Group theory and crystal structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of replacing some As atoms with N atoms in a GaAs supercell. The number of possible configurations is determined to be 496. The use of symmetry arguments and group theory is suggested to determine the equivalent positions of the N atoms. The structure of the GaAs supercell is described as an FCC lattice with a basis of 2 atoms, and the concept of a supercell consisting of 8 unit cells is introduced. The picture provided shows the arrangement of Ga and As atoms in the supercell.
gdumont
Hi,

I have the following problem :

I generate GaAs (zinc blende structure) supercells, and then I want to replace some As atoms by N atoms. Let's say I have fcc conventional cell repeated twice in the x, y and z direction so that I have a total of 64 atoms, 32 of Ga and 32 of As. 8 atoms per conventional cell times 2x2x2 = 64. Then I replace 2 of the As atoms by N atoms so that there are
[tex]
\frac{64!}{2! 62!} = \frac{64 \times 63}{2} = 2016
[/tex]
possibilities. Of course since the supercell is repeated to infinity there will be a lot of equivalent configurations.

My question is: Is there any way using group theory to determine which of the 2016 possible configurations are equivalent?

If no one knows the answer can anyone suggest a good book about group theory applied to crystal structures?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several good books. Liboff has a good introduction book. Tinham is another good book.

It seems that since you're replacing 2 of the As atoms, and since there are only 32 As atoms, there are

[tex]\frac{32!}{2!30!} = \frac{32 \times 31}{2} = 496[/tex]

possibilities. That is, there are 496 possible ways to change the original supercell. The number of ways to build a supercell with 32 Ga, 30 As, and 2 N "from scratch" would be:

[tex]{{64}\choose{32}}{{32}\choose{2}} = \frac{64!}{32!32!}\times 496[/tex]

which is very big. The number of equivalent possibilities depends on the shape of your supercell. In fact, it also depends on the precise placement of your atoms. I'm guessing it looks like something like three mutually perpendicular sticks, and at the end of each stick, you have an arrangement of a cell consisting of 8 atoms. How are the atoms arranged in these cells? Is it something like this:

Attachments

• crystal.JPG
    crystal.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
You cannot predict before hand the locations of the N atoms in the lattice. You will end up with a compound [tex] GaAs_{1-x}N_{x} [/tex]. Remenber that GaAs is a direct band gap material whereas GaN is indirect. To calculate the band gap, do a linear interpolation between the two direct gaps and you should be close.

As for using symmetry arguements, Tinkham is good, but in this case I'd suggest Evarestov and Smirnov, Site Symmetry in Crystals, Theory and Applications it would be much more useful. Group theory should be able to tell you the equivalence positions, it really isn't a difficult problem to calculate provided you have the correct symmetry groups.

AKG said:
I'm guessing it looks like something like three mutually perpendicular sticks, and at the end of each stick, you have an arrangement of a cell consisting of 8 atoms. How are the atoms arranged in these cells? Is it something like this:
No AKG, it's something like this : http://www-ncce.ceg.uiuc.edu/tutorials/crystal_structures/gaas.gif

The GaAs structure can be built by first constructing an FCC (face centered cubic) lattice with say, Ga atoms, and then putting As atoms in the tetrahedral interstices between nearest neighbor Ga atoms. Alternatively, you can think of it as an FCC lattice with a basis of 2 atoms - one at each FCC site (the Ga atoms in the picture) and the other displaced from each site by a constant displacement vector (the As atoms in the above pic).

The OP's supercell, I think, consists of 8 of the unit cells from the picture, 2 along each direction.

Note : This is a little deceptive from the picture, but there are as many Ga atoms as there are As atoms (over any large volume).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is group theory and why is it important in crystal structure?

Group theory is a mathematical concept that studies the symmetries and patterns in objects or systems. In crystal structure, group theory is important because it helps us understand the arrangement of atoms and molecules in a crystal lattice, as well as their physical and chemical properties.

2. How is group theory applied in crystallography?

Group theory is applied in crystallography to classify and describe the symmetries present in crystals. This involves using mathematical operations and principles to determine the possible ways in which atoms can be arranged within a crystal lattice.

3. What is a crystal structure and how is it related to group theory?

A crystal structure is the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a repeating pattern in a solid material. It is related to group theory because the symmetries present in a crystal lattice can be described and analyzed using group theory principles.

4. How does group theory help us predict the properties of crystals?

Group theory can help us predict the properties of crystals by identifying the symmetries present in their lattice structures. These symmetries can provide information about the physical and chemical properties of the crystal, such as its optical, electrical, and magnetic properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of group theory and crystal structure?

Group theory and crystal structure have many real-world applications, including in materials science, chemistry, and physics. They are used in the design and development of new materials for various industries, such as electronics, medicine, and construction. They are also used in the study of minerals, proteins, and other biological molecules.