What are some recommended introductory books on group theory for physicists?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a good introductory book on group theory for self-study during the summer. Some suggestions include Wu Ki Tung's book on Lie groups for high energy/particle physics, Brian Hall's book on representation theory, and Axler's book on linear algebra. The conversation also mentions interests in applying group theory to condensed matter physics and quantum mechanics, and the book "Symmetry Principles and Magnetic Symmetry in Solid State Physics" by S.J. Joshua is recommended as a good resource.
dipole
Hi, I'm interested in doing some self-study this summer and learning some group theory. This has come up a lot as I'm getting into graduate level physics courses, so I'd like a good solid introduction to it.

Any recommendations on a book? Preferably one that's at the level of an introductory graduate level/senior undergraduate text.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wu Ki Tung's book in the '80s is the one I like most. You should consider it.

Brian Hall's book on representation theory is very nice, very easy to read.

Thanks I'll check them out. I should point out that I'm a bit rusty on my linear algebra.

In that case, I also recommend Axler's Linear algebra done right. It works with complex vector spaces from the start, introduces linear transformations very early, is a bit more "proofy" than most introductory texts, and doesn't spend a lot of time on how to solve systems of linear equations, applications to geometry, etc. So it's great for people who have studied linear algebra before but have forgotten a lot.

What are your interests?

Wu Ki Tung is heavy on Lie groups for high energy/particle physics.

Tinkham is weighted towards solid state and atomic and molecular...

Both give very good intros provided you have the requisite math.

Dr Transport said:
What are your interests?

Wu Ki Tung is heavy on Lie groups for high energy/particle physics.

Tinkham is weighted towards solid state and atomic and molecular...

Both give very good intros provided you have the requisite math.

My interest is learning how group theory applies to condensed matter physics and quantum mechanics in general. Eventually I'd be interested in learning how it all leads into topology.

By Tinkham are you referring to, "Group theory and Quantum Mechanics"? If so, I actually already checked this book out of the library since it seemed like a gentle introduction compared to some of the other books I found there.

dipole said:
My interest is learning how group theory applies to condensed matter physics and quantum mechanics in general. Eventually I'd be interested in learning how it all leads into topology.

By Tinkham are you referring to, "Group theory and Quantum Mechanics"? If so, I actually already checked this book out of the library since it seemed like a gentle introduction compared to some of the other books I found there.

I would look for a copy of S.J. Joshua, Symmetry Principles and Magnetic Symmetry in Solid State Physics and work thru that first. I took a course from Tinkham's book during my first stint in graduate school and didn't do very well. When I went back, I found Joshua and did it from cover to cover (it has solutions in the back to check your work). I then redid Tinkham and I was much more successful in retaining the material which was very useful in my dissertation.

1. What is Group Theory for Physicists?

Group theory for physicists is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symmetries in physical systems. It is used to describe the behavior of particles and fields in physics, and to understand the fundamental laws of nature.

2. Why is Group Theory important in physics?

Group theory is important in physics because it provides a powerful framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It allows physicists to identify and classify symmetries in nature, and to use these symmetries to make predictions about the behavior of particles and fields.

3. How is Group Theory used in physics?

Group theory is used in physics to analyze the symmetries of physical systems and to classify them into different groups. These groups can then be used to identify the properties and behaviors of particles and fields, and to make predictions about their interactions.

4. What are some applications of Group Theory in physics?

Group theory has many applications in physics, including in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It is used to explain the properties and interactions of subatomic particles, the symmetries of the laws of physics, and the structure of the universe.

5. Is Group Theory difficult to understand for physicists?

Group theory can be challenging to understand for physicists, as it involves abstract mathematical concepts and techniques. However, with proper training and practice, it can be a powerful tool for solving complex problems in physics and understanding the fundamental laws of nature.