1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Groups, Normalizer, Abstract Algebra, Dihedral Groups help?

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1. Let G be a Group, and let H be a subgroup of G. Define the normalizer of H in G to be the set NG(H)= the set of g in G such that gHg-1=H.

a) Prove Ng(H) is a subgroup of G

b) In each of the part (i) to (ii) show that the specified group G and subgroup H of G, CG(H)=H, and NG(H)=G

(i) G = D4 and H = {1, s, r2, sr2}

(ii) G = D5 and H = {1, r, r2, r3, r4}

2. Relevant equations

Notice that if g is an element of CG(H), then ghg-1 = h for all h elements of H so, CG(H) is a sub group of NG(H).

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Using the 1 step subgroup test.
    If a and b are elements in NG(H) then show ab-1 is an element
    Let a and b be elements in NG(H), further let a = g= b meaning gHg-1=H=gHg-1. So (gHg-1)(gHg-1)-1=(gHg-1)(g-1H-1g), which by associativity and definition of inverses and closed under inverses, = e which is an element in NG(H), therefor ab-1 is an element of NG(H) for every a,b elements of NG(H) and by the one step subgroup test, NG(H) is a subgroup of G.

b) I'm not sure where to begin, or if part a is even right...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The proof is not very good. You can't assume a=b! You take a and b in NG(H). So aHa^(-1)=H and bHb^(-1)=H. You want to show c=ab^(-1) is in NG(H). Which means cHc^(-1)=H. First off, what is c^(-1)?

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    Would c^(-1)=(ab^(-1))^(-1)=a^(-1)b?

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4
    could i say let a, b be elements of NG(H), and let a = aHa^-1 and b = bHb^(-1), and since a and b are elements in NG(H) aHa^(-1)=bHb^(-1), then use the division algorithm for right cancellation to say aHa^(-1)b=bHb^(-1)b which goes to aHc^(-1)=bHe and then similarly by the division algorithm for left cancellation, a^(-1)aHc^(-1)=a^(-1)bHe, which simplifies to eHc^(-1)=c^(-1)He....would that lets us say c^(-1) is and element in NG(H), getting us to c^(-1)H(c^(-1))=c^(-1)Hc....but can i claim commutativity and say cHc^(-1)?

6. Oct 8, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mind the ordering. (ab^(-1))^(-1)=ba^(-1). To prove it multiply that by ab^(-1). Do you see how that works?

7. Oct 8, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cannot say a=aHa^-1 for a start. H=aHa^-1. Not a. The rest of it is sort of ok, If you can get to c^(-1)Hc=H that's fine, you don't need any commutativity to turn that into cHc^(-1)=H. Do you see why?

8. Oct 8, 2008 #7
    yeah, i forgot the ordering....as for c^(-1)Hc=(c^(-1)Hc)^(-1)=cHc^(-1) by the same ordering property right?

9. Oct 8, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, since H^(-1)=H.

10. Oct 8, 2008 #9
    right, so for b could I take the definition of a Centralizer CG(H)={g element of G, such that ga=ag} and just plug in the elements to show CG(H)=H? and do the same for the normalizer?

11. Oct 8, 2008 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, now you just have to do some calculations in the dihedral groups to try and figure out what the normalizer and centralizer are.

12. Oct 10, 2008 #11
    So then would i just be able to say that since CD4(r2)={1, r2, s, sr2},and CD4(s)={1, r2, s, sr2}, and CD4(sr2)={1, r2, s, sr2}, then CD4(1, s, r2, sr2)={1, r2, s, sr2}...or should i try and show each part, as in 1*r=r*1, which seems kinda tidious

13. Oct 10, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would think you could just state the answers without showing every calculation you did. But that's just my opinion.

14. Oct 10, 2008 #13
    i decided to play it safe, and just wrote it all out, thank you for your time and help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?