Guess I'm going to have to give in and learn a language

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, Considering you don't have any programming experience, I would recommend learning Python. There are excellent books and resources available to teach you how to program.
Shackleford
I'm a junior physics major/math minor. I don't have any programming knowledge whatsoever. I'd rather not hassle with learning it, but I know it's a prerequisite if I want to do any research or engineering job. What should I learn? No more than I should and no less than would be prudent.

Technology news on Phys.org
Matlab, if you consider it a language.
Fortran has been used for quite some time, in fact if, memory serves right, people at CERN program Fortran but I don't exactly know the status of the Fortran development scene.
You could also learn C/C++ if you are going to be writing processing intensive programs, plus there is a lot of libraries written for them.
These are just a few things from the top of my mind.

Can you be clear what is it you are expecting to program?

owowo said:
Matlab, if you consider it a language.
Fortran has been used for quite some time, in fact if, memory serves right, people at CERN program Fortran but I don't exactly know the status of the Fortran development scene.
You could also learn C/C++ if you are going to be writing processing intensive programs, plus there is a lot of libraries written for them.
These are just a few things from the top of my mind.

Can you be clear what is it you are expecting to program?

I have no idea whatsoever. If I remember correctly, my vector analysis professor last semester said I should learn at least C. I could be mistaken though.

Python is a very good first language for someone who doesn't have programming experience. It's not exactly the most popular language out there for scientific work, but there are excellent libraries available for doing calculations and simulations in Python (SciPy/NumPy for instance), and besides it'll give you a good foundation on which to learn C, which is probably the most practically useful language to learn.

Matlab actually wouldn't be a bad start, it does have some similarities to Python (or vice-versa, if you like).

I think I started to look at Python a couple years ago, but I didn't get anywhere with it. Is there a good book out there for it?

Since you're starting off with no programming knowledge, I would probably suggest a book like Mark Lutz's Learning Python. I learned Python using Alex Martelli's Python in a Nutshell and David Beazley's Python Essential Reference, but I already had programming experience in C, Java, and MATLAB.

1. How do I know which language to learn?

The best way to choose a language to learn is to consider your personal interests and goals. If you have a specific country or culture you are interested in, learning their language can be a great way to connect with them. You can also consider the demand for certain languages in your field or industry.

2. Is it too late for me to learn a new language?

No, it is never too late to learn a new language. While it may be easier for children to pick up new languages, adults can also learn and become proficient in a new language with dedication and practice.

3. How long will it take for me to become fluent in a new language?

The time it takes to become fluent in a new language varies for each individual and depends on factors such as the complexity of the language, your previous language learning experience, and the amount of time you dedicate to studying and practicing. Generally, it takes several years to become fluent in a new language.

4. What is the best way to learn a new language?

The best way to learn a new language is through immersion, which involves surrounding yourself with the language and using it in real-life situations. This can include taking classes, practicing with native speakers, and immersing yourself in the culture of the language you are learning.

5. Will learning a new language benefit me?

Yes, learning a new language can have many benefits, including improved cognitive abilities, better job opportunities, and enhanced cultural awareness. It can also make traveling to new countries more enjoyable and help you connect with people from different backgrounds.