Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GUTs w/ fluid & thermodynamics -- notable theories?

1. Aug 9, 2014 #1
    I'm not sure if this thread would belong in the Academic Guidance forum, so if it does, feel free to move it there.

I'm looking for research topics that might involve thermo- or fluid dynamics, but are centered around grand unified theories. I'm particularly interested in computational fluid dynamics, but I'm not sure if that's very compatible with unverified theories.

If you have any recommendations of papers to look at, please post them here!

(P.S. I'll be applying to PhDs this fall, so if you've got school recommendations, I'd gladly take those too)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. Aug 11, 2014 #3

Haelfix

Science Advisor

GUT's naturally live at or near the Planck scale. So in the early universe where this physics regime is relevant, you will be looking at high temperature quantum field theory, where there are plenty of active research directions. Fluid mechanics often (but not always) ties into stat mech in these types of pursuits.

For instance, you might look into researchers doing work in Baryogenesis/Leptogenesis, phase transitions and critical phenomena in models of quantum gravity and send them an email asking for advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook