Guys i need to build a hovercraft

• Thread starter Atul Nair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, the conversation is about building a single seater hovercraft and the main concerns are the design of the skirt and the mechanism for braking. Suggestions include using a 20bhp motor with guide vanes for forward thrust and using reverse thrust or rollerblade/skate brakes for braking. The possibility of obtaining blueprints or design instructions for the skirt is also mentioned.
Atul Nair
hey guys i need to build a single seater hovercraft...

any ideas or suggetions...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google!

Welcome to PF, Atul.
Just do a forums search right here. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on this subject, including a lift calculator that Russ provided.

@robertm

i did google for it but the response wsnt all tht satisfactory...

@danger

thnx dude,

i'll do tht....as per my current plan i m planning to use a about 20bhp motor coupled to a propeller and use guide vanes to direct the air to the skirt and to provide the required forward thrust...

but the problems that i m facing is with the design of the skirt and the mechanism for braking...!

With the exception of the machine that I designed (but haven't built yet), there is no braking system available that I know of other than reverse thrust.
My system throws the lift and propulsion fans into reverse pitch, cranks the throttle, and drops a set of aircraft-type landing gear with hydraulic ABS brakes engaged.

For breaking, how about attaching a few rollerblade/skate brakes to manually operated levers?

I was totally unaware that either skates or blades had any kind of brakes. Regardless, though, I doubt that either of those systems would have anything like the stopping power required of a passenger-bearing vehicle.

reverse thrust option ws actually considered by me but its feasibility with my design is close too nil... so i m thnkin bout an alternative mechanism...

plus does anybody hv ne blue prints or design instructions for the skirt...??

1. How do I build a hovercraft?

Building a hovercraft can be a complex process, but the basic steps involve constructing a platform, attaching an engine and propeller, and adding a skirt to trap air underneath the craft. It's important to research and follow proper safety precautions and guidelines before attempting to build a hovercraft.

2. What materials do I need to build a hovercraft?

The materials needed to build a hovercraft can vary, but some common items include a platform material such as plywood, a small engine, a propeller, a skirt material such as heavy duty plastic, and various tools like screws and drills. It's important to research and gather all necessary materials before starting the building process.

3. How much does it cost to build a hovercraft?

The cost of building a hovercraft can vary depending on the materials used, the size of the craft, and any additional features or modifications. On average, a basic hovercraft can cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. However, it's important to research and budget for all necessary materials and potential additional costs before starting the project.

4. Do I need any special skills to build a hovercraft?

Building a hovercraft requires some basic knowledge and skills in construction, mechanics, and possibly electrical wiring. It's important to research and educate yourself on these areas before attempting to build a hovercraft. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from experienced builders or tutorials.

5. Is it legal to build and operate a hovercraft?

The legality of building and operating a hovercraft can vary depending on your location. Some areas may have restrictions or regulations regarding the use of hovercrafts on public waterways. It's important to research and comply with any laws or regulations in your area before building and operating a hovercraft.