1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much propulsion would i need to move my 300 pound hovercraft?

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    How much propulsion would i need to move my 300 pound hovercraft?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2
    This is rather a "how long is a piece of string" question but as it takes very little force to move a hovercraft once it is air born I would go for about a 1KW fan.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How fast does one want to travel, or accelerate.

Is one asking about the hovering, or the lateral travel?

5. Apr 14, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google found this page which has details of several 150kg/330lbs racing hovercraft...

http://hovercraft.herts.ac.uk/craft.html

Seems they use a 40-60 BHP engine with 25% used for lift and 75% used for thrust. So looks like about 30-40bhp for thrust would make it reasonably quick.

6. Apr 14, 2013 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Unless it has a large frontal area, and you are traveling into a headwind.

I've spent 20+ years boating up and down my river. Reality trumps textbook all the time.

It's easy to design a hovercraft to travel across a glass smooth lake, with no wind. It's totally another thing to design one to traverse 6 foot swells, with a 30 mph headwind.

2584a12584dcea216e766c4bbcb514eb.png

Bryce, solve for Fd.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook