Guys next to my room just keep turning the music with loud bass

In summary, the speaker is an international student living in a dorm with noisy neighbors who frequently play loud music. The speaker has tried to get them to stop, but to no avail. They are considering drastic measures, such as buying a big stereo and playing ethnic music, but others suggest finding a quiet place to study or using earplugs. The speaker is frustrated with the lack of action taken by dorm authorities and is considering transferring to a more academically focused college.
IAmVerySmart
Something I think I should tell you to ask
for your advice right here,
as I spend a lot of time on the Internet, I don't have many friend, and I am
an international student in my dorm.

Some of the guys next to my room just keep turning the music with loud bass and am really annoyed as I can not concentrate to read my books as well as to solve my assignments

I've asked them to stop many times, but they don't care. I call the dorm guards but they said the music is not too loud from the outside, they do not allow me to change my room.

Inside the room, the bass sometimes keep me awake all night.

There was atime that I got really mad and I wanted to fight. But the guy is an American of 6 ft tall while I am only 5.4 ft.

Do you think I had to suffer, leave the dorm or beat the guy from behind with ... a bat/club ?

Help me please, I know I am not matured to resolve this situation (as people say these are college kids stuff - but I am a college student). I would love to understand how to behave to keep the scores for me fairly! I don't want to fight either (as that is psychologically bad)

Science news on Phys.org

For one, you could do your homework or studying in your school library or another quiet place on campus. My dormmates are the same way with their loud bass booming at night. Some people just weren't raised with common courtesy. I'm not sure there is much else you can do about it at night. I'm not sure how you approached and asked them, but you could try it again in a very calm manner and just tell them exactly what you feel. Like how it is preventing you from getting to sleep and if they could listen to headphones or just turn down the bass. Something like that.

Surely even dorms have an authority. Who enforces the rules?

1) Buy a huge stereo

2) play ethnic music (traditional; consider ethnicitys other than your own)

3) show no mercy

4) never attack anyone with a bat. You'll go to jail for sure. They already have records of your 'incidents'.

General_Sax said:
4) never attack anyone with a bat.
Unless you have a bigger bat. :wink:

You should try getting your neighbors to sympathize with you. Not everybody is a corn fed *******.

I wonder why other people in the dorm aren't complaining?

try http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

When you speak with security tell them that while the music may not be very loud the bass is coming right through your wall which is rather excessive. Ask them to come into your room and listen to the noise from there. Note that they may not be allowed to enter your room. If security still does not intend to do anything about it then complain to housing. If housing does not wish to do anything then go to the person over them.

If this is primarily occurring during the day they may not feel the need to enforce noise regulations during the day. As noted by someone else you likely have a library and study hall you can go to during regular hours of the day. Its is not fair to prevent others from living how they choose, with in reason, in the place that they pay to live.

Do you believe it may be possible that you are being a bit overly sensitive? Is this something that has bothered you previously and else where? Do people not generally do this sort of thing where you are from?

You could invest in a set of ear-plugs. Just a suggestion.. Another viable alternative would be to listen to some soft "background" music while you sleep to help drown out the noise.

2) play ethnic music (traditional; consider ethnicitys other than your own)

Forget that, go buy the latest "world's most annoying music" CD (or download it). If that isn't annoying enough, play a looped recording of fingernails on a chalkboard (while wearing your own ear protection).

Its is not fair to prevent others from living how they choose, with in reason, in the place that they pay to live.

It is more than fair when they start disturbing other students.

amalgamx said:
You could invest in a set of ear-plugs.
I sometimes wear earplugs. (Someone in my bed likes to go to sleep with the TV on, and it ain't me.)

What I haven't figured out yet is how I'll hear my alarm clock in the morning.

Ear plugs don't help when idiots are booming their bass, because you can FEEL the vibrations.

If the RA or whoever is responsible for your dorm doesn't do anything about it, go over their head. There is either a staff member who oversees a group of dorms, or your dean of students. You should be able to study in your dorm room and you certainly should be able to sleep in it. Those who want to party and make noise should go someplace else, like a common room at the student center. Or, they can invest in headphones to listen to their music. Afterall, students attend college to learn. You don't need to pay exhorbitant tuition and fees to party.

Though, if the RA can't hear the music from outside the room, is it possibly not coming from next door, but perhaps a floor above or below? When you hear it, you may want to take a walk along the halls on other floors and see if it's coming from a different room.

If even talking to a dean about the problem of not being able to sleep at night doesn't get something changed, even if you're the one who has to move dorm rooms, then I'd look to transfer to a college that takes academics seriously.

Most dorms have a no music policy after hours so I think if you go to housing they should be able to handle it for you. I sympathize greatly with you as this kind of thing can be really frustrating. Think of it as a growing moment because these kinds of social interactions are part of college. You'll find a way to handle this and learn from it in the process.
While the ethnic music war would be an amusing way to handle this, I think that it will ultimately end up with you being hated on your floor. If you can't get other floor mates to agree with you I'm not sure what course you could take other than to complain to housing. Eventually they should send someone to your room to hear the music while its being played.

Personally I don't think the music should ever be audible in the next room. This would be the rule in an apartment building and it should be the rule where you live as well.

These problems are the very reason I live off campus. After living in an Army barracks for a year I was not in the mood to deal with this kind of crud from other students.
I also eat corn so...

I sympathize with you. I have a hard time falling asleep if things are too bright or two noisy (Once I'm asleep you could shine a spotlight on my face and blast music all you want. The problem is falling asleep under those conditions.)

Currently, I live on a street that is full of off-campus undergraduate housing, and it is not fun. (I'm not an undergrad anymore, and I wouldn't have lived with these people even if I was.) I'm planning on moving somewhere else when my lease is up.

Asking to turn down the music during the day is a little too much to ask, but night is a different story. Keeping asking the dorm staff to help. If they still won't help, take the issue to whoever is in charge of them, and so on up. You have a right to a peaceful night of sleep and the ability to study at home when it is late.

Complain to higher authority than the lowly dorm guards

While you're trying to figure out who is the right person to complain to, some other alternatives:

Try the library (as w3390 suggested)
Try to find a friend who lives in a quiet dorm, or quiet part of your dorm, and ask if you can study in their room for 1 or 2 hours sometimes.

I'm curious, what is your home country and where do you study?

If they ignore you and play the music at nights all the time, then they are f.cked up. My advice is to change place of living or at least use ear plugs. I don't see any other options. In dorm you should be able to learn and make friends. I also lived in dorm and had also some problems, interesting situations.

Once i had roommate might, who snored like Godzilla. That's a real problem. From one side you want to stay far from him form other it is his health fault.

Once a some guy also complained about loud company at night. The guards came and beat up some guys with the stacks. Funny thing was that they took the wrong room. Welcome to the east Europe.

With one of my other room mates we had a problem too. He loved to sit at pc all the night. He sleeped like from 5am till 1pm. That was a real pc hardcore geek. I hate the sound of pc ventilator.

A friend of mine also has a big problem with noise. To eliminate high and low frequencies, he wears ear plugs and a headset for professionals. I've tried this combination, and it's quite impressive. When someone talks 2m from you, you can't hear a sound.

TeTeC said:
A friend of mine also has a big problem with noise. To eliminate high and low frequencies, he wears ear plugs and a headset for professionals. I've tried this combination, and it's quite impressive. When someone talks 2m from you, you can't hear a sound.

A bit uncomfortable for sleeping, don't you think? And, as DaveC points out, how exactly are you supposed to hear your alarm in the morning if you wear those to sleep? People shouldn't be prevented from sleeping in dorms just so some other inconsiderate nitwit can listen to thumping bass all night.

Yes, that doesn't solve the problem at all for the night ! (I didn't say it would ;-))

Get off the internet. That's a good step.

So many international students are severely addicted to the computer it's sad.

Note: Mentionning that you wanted to beat this guy with a bat tells me that you should seek help. If I knew you in person, I'd probably report you since you sound pretty genuine about beating him.

TeTeC said:
To eliminate high and low frequencies, he wears ear plugs and a headset for professionals.
Odd. IMO, the headset is overkill. Those yellow squishly earplugs are extremely effective. They block out everything. You've just got to make sure you insert them correctly.

"Man up". Get this problem handled. This is an excellent opportunity to learn how to handle difficulties in Life, and handling them through the proper channels.

You did good, you first went to the person and spoke, they do not care.

You went to the RA, and they don't care.

Now go to the next authority, and keep going until the problem is solved.

Good luck

aquitaine said:
It is more than fair when they start disturbing other students.

Oh? If you were say cleaning your room and the person next door to you reported you for making noise would that be ok? You're apparently disturbing him. What about making noise while talking to someone on the phone?

People should have a reasonable level of freedom. The OP never said that this was occurring at night, as many people are assuming, so we can not assume that these people are being as unreasonable as that.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Oh? If you were say cleaning your room and the person next door to you reported you for making noise would that be ok? You're apparently disturbing him. What about making noise while talking to someone on the phone?

People should have a reasonable level of freedom. The OP never said that this was occurring at night, as many people are assuming, so we can not assume that these people are being as unreasonable as that.

He said the bass keeps him awake all night.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Straw men.
Cleaning one's apartment or talking on the phone are significantly and quantifiably different from partying with loud music.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The OP never said that this was occurring at night, as many people are assuming, so we can not assume that these people are being as unreasonable as that.

IAmVerySmart said:
...the bass sometimes keep me awake all night.

TheStatutoryApe said:

This isn't the average dorm noises, this is music being played constantly. At the very least it should be turned off at night. This is not an unreasonable request. Common courtesy dictates that you don't make unnecessary noise at a level that would bother those around you.

If this guy was my neighbor I would get him to turn down his music. I wouldn't mind if it was during the day when he was in his room. But if it all day and night I would have a problem. If the base is on loud enough to shake a room next to you it is too loud regardless of the time of day. These guys would also listen because I am not a small or soft spoken person and if they ignored me eventually I would climb the ladder high enough that someone would fix the problem.

Pattonias said:
This isn't the average dorm noises, this is music being played constantly. At the very least it should be turned off at night. This is not an unreasonable request. Common courtesy dictates that you don't make unnecessary noise at a level that would bother those around you.

If this guy was my neighbor I would get him to turn down his music. I wouldn't mind if it was during the day when he was in his room. But if it all day and night I would have a problem. If the base is on loud enough to shake a room next to you it is too loud regardless of the time of day. These guys would also listen because I am not a small or soft spoken person and if they ignored me eventually I would climb the ladder high enough that someone would fix the problem.

Don't move in the dorms if you plan on studying all the time. Only an IDIOT moves into the dorms/residences and plans on studying. There are some dorms with strict rules, but if you are not in that one, you ARE screwed.

This has been happening for years. You're not going to change this lifestyle overnight. Get real. Should never have gone into the dorms.

Cyclovenom said:
"Man up". Get this problem handled. This is an excellent opportunity to learn how to handle difficulties in Life, and handling them through the proper channels.

You did good, you first went to the person and spoke, they do not care.

You went to the RA, and they don't care.

Now go to the next authority, and keep going until the problem is solved.

Good luck

The problem would have been solved if he used his brain before moving into the dorms.

JasonRox said:
The problem would have been solved if he used his brain before moving into the dorms.

What are you implying? Does anyone move into a dorm because they want to? Usually it is the only economically feasible option.

Studying would probably be better done in the Library though. Dorms are for sleeping.

Pattonias said:
What are you implying? Does anyone move into a dorm because they want to? Usually it is the only economically feasible option.

Studying would probably be better done in the Library though. Dorms are for sleeping.

They move into a dorm because they want to. But are not so clueless to think that students are going to be quiet at 11am and disturb no one.

http://meltaylor.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/300-movie-400a0309.jpg

Go to war with your dormmate, all out battle royal no holds barred !

JasonRox said:
JasonRox said:
Pattonias said:
They move into a dorm because they want to. But are not so clueless to think that students are going to be quiet at 11am and disturb no one.
It is a bit presumptuous to pass judgement on what experience and circumstances the OP has.

Ear plugs.

http://www.macksearplugs.com/pillow_soft_silicone_earplugs.htm"

The silicone ones. I swear by them. I had the same problem 20 years ago. There is only so far you can go with jerks. Even if they get quiet for a while, they will surprise you one night at 2 AM with some booming crap.

It doesn't stop in dorms either. Off campus apartments, and even student neighborhoods have exactly the same problem.

I had the ultimate defense: Mack's silicone plugs and an http://www.google.com/products/cata...t=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDgQ8wIwCA#ps-sellers" fan for white noise.

Alarm clock was set REALLY LOUD! (Payback in the morning! but don't rub it in).

Remember, better sleep will make you a better person.

The baseball bat solution will make you a worse person. If you are sleeping, then the problem is resolved.

I am so very serious, no other plugs will work as well.

DaveC426913 said:
Straw men.
Cleaning one's apartment or talking on the phone are significantly and quantifiably different from partying with loud music.

Oops, missed the part about keeping him awake. His main concern seemed to be an inability to study.

And those things seem different only because you are considering them in a reasonable sense. I've had residents where I work pissed off at me for telling them to keep it down because they were 'only talking on their phone' even though they were practically shouting into the thing and had the volume up so high I could hear the person on the other end clearly while I was three floors below. Then there are the people who call to complain about their neighbour having a massive crazy party that turned out to be three people hanging out chatting on their patio. And the guy who chewed my ear off about how he could have been shot or stabbed because I was not there to stop two fifteen year old girls from giggling and making fun of him while he played tennis.

As you could imagine my experience tells me that sometimes people are overly sensitive and exaggerate. Particularly the ones that say extreme things like they are considering beating people with a bat. Iam here may not be one of these people but it is something to consider because if he is being overly sensitive he is only going to piss a bunch of people off by taking everyone's advice here.

edit: Iamverysmart: Since the security/RAs have apparently thought the noise from outside of your neighbour's room is not all that loud it may also be that their speakers are right next to your shared wall and so it sounds louder in your room. This happened to a resident at my work. Everyone who showed up when she complained that her neighbour's tv was too loud said they could not hear it. She felt like everyone was treating her like she was crazy. It turned out that the neighbour had dolby surround sound speakers mounted on their shared wall. If something like this is the case then maybe all they have to do is move their speakers.

Last edited: