Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys next to my room just keep turning the music with loud bass

1. Oct 26, 2009 #1
    Something I think I should tell you to ask
    for your advice right here,
    as I spend a lot of time on the Internet, I don't have many friend, and I am
    an international student in my dorm.

Some of the guys next to my room just keep turning the music with loud bass and am really annoyed as I can not concentrate to read my books as well as to solve my assignments

I've asked them to stop many times, but they don't care. I call the dorm guards but they said the music is not too loud from the outside, they do not allow me to change my room.

Inside the room, the bass sometimes keep me awake all night.

There was atime that I got really mad and I wanted to fight. But the guy is an American of 6 ft tall while I am only 5.4 ft.

Do you think I had to suffer, leave the dorm or beat the guy from behind with ... a bat/club ?

Help me please, I know I am not matured to resolve this situation (as people say these are college kids stuff - but I am a college student). I would love to understand how to behave to keep the scores for me fairly! I don't want to fight either (as that is psychologically bad)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2
    Re: My dormmates

For one, you could do your homework or studying in your school library or another quiet place on campus. My dormmates are the same way with their loud bass booming at night. Some people just weren't raised with common courtesy. I'm not sure there is much else you can do about it at night. I'm not sure how you approached and asked them, but you could try it again in a very calm manner and just tell them exactly what you feel. Like how it is preventing you from getting to sleep and if they could listen to headphones or just turn down the bass. Something like that.

4. Oct 26, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Surely even dorms have an authority. Who enforces the rules?

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4

1) Buy a huge stereo

2) play ethnic music (traditional; consider ethnicitys other than your own)

3) show no mercy

4) never attack anyone with a bat. You'll go to jail for sure. They already have records of your 'incidents'.

6. Oct 26, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Unless you have a bigger bat. :wink:

7. Oct 26, 2009 #6

DavidSnider

Gold Member

You should try getting your neighbors to sympathize with you. Not everybody is a corn fed *******.

I wonder why other people in the dorm aren't complaining?

8. Oct 26, 2009 #7

try http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Oct 27, 2009 #8

When you speak with security tell them that while the music may not be very loud the bass is coming right through your wall which is rather excessive. Ask them to come into your room and listen to the noise from there. Note that they may not be allowed to enter your room. If security still does not intend to do anything about it then complain to housing. If housing does not wish to do anything then go to the person over them.

If this is primarily occurring during the day they may not feel the need to enforce noise regulations during the day. As noted by someone else you likely have a library and study hall you can go to during regular hours of the day. Its is not fair to prevent others from living how they choose, with in reason, in the place that they pay to live.

Do you believe it may be possible that you are being a bit overly sensitive? Is this something that has bothered you previously and else where? Do people not generally do this sort of thing where you are from?

10. Oct 27, 2009 #9

You could invest in a set of ear-plugs. Just a suggestion.. Another viable alternative would be to listen to some soft "background" music while you sleep to help drown out the noise.

11. Oct 27, 2009 #10

Forget that, go buy the latest "world's most annoying music" CD (or download it). If that isn't annoying enough, play a looped recording of fingernails on a chalkboard (while wearing your own ear protection).

It is more than fair when they start disturbing other students.

12. Oct 27, 2009 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I sometimes wear earplugs. (Someone in my bed likes to go to sleep with the TV on, and it ain't me.)

What I haven't figured out yet is how I'll hear my alarm clock in the morning.

13. Oct 27, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ear plugs don't help when idiots are booming their bass, because you can FEEL the vibrations.

If the RA or whoever is responsible for your dorm doesn't do anything about it, go over their head. There is either a staff member who oversees a group of dorms, or your dean of students. You should be able to study in your dorm room and you certainly should be able to sleep in it. Those who want to party and make noise should go someplace else, like a common room at the student center. Or, they can invest in headphones to listen to their music. Afterall, students attend college to learn. You don't need to pay exhorbitant tuition and fees to party.

Though, if the RA can't hear the music from outside the room, is it possibly not coming from next door, but perhaps a floor above or below? When you hear it, you may want to take a walk along the halls on other floors and see if it's coming from a different room.

If even talking to a dean about the problem of not being able to sleep at night doesn't get something changed, even if you're the one who has to move dorm rooms, then I'd look to transfer to a college that takes academics seriously.

14. Oct 27, 2009 #13

Most dorms have a no music policy after hours so I think if you go to housing they should be able to handle it for you. I sympathize greatly with you as this kind of thing can be really frustrating. Think of it as a growing moment because these kinds of social interactions are part of college. You'll find a way to handle this and learn from it in the process.
    While the ethnic music war would be an amusing way to handle this, I think that it will ultimately end up with you being hated on your floor. If you can't get other floor mates to agree with you I'm not sure what course you could take other than to complain to housing. Eventually they should send someone to your room to hear the music while its being played.

Personally I don't think the music should ever be audible in the next room. This would be the rule in an apartment building and it should be the rule where you live as well.

These problems are the very reason I live off campus. After living in an Army barracks for a year I was not in the mood to deal with this kind of crud from other students.
    I also eat corn so...

15. Oct 27, 2009 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I sympathize with you. I have a hard time falling asleep if things are too bright or two noisy (Once I'm asleep you could shine a spotlight on my face and blast music all you want. The problem is falling asleep under those conditions.)

Currently, I live on a street that is full of off-campus undergraduate housing, and it is not fun. (I'm not an undergrad anymore, and I wouldn't have lived with these people even if I was.) I'm planning on moving somewhere else when my lease is up.

Asking to turn down the music during the day is a little too much to ask, but night is a different story. Keeping asking the dorm staff to help. If they still won't help, take the issue to whoever is in charge of them, and so on up. You have a right to a peaceful night of sleep and the ability to study at home when it is late.

16. Oct 27, 2009 #15

Complain to higher authority than the lowly dorm guards

17. Oct 27, 2009 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

While you're trying to figure out who is the right person to complain to, some other alternatives:

Try the library (as w3390 suggested)
    Try to find a friend who lives in a quiet dorm, or quiet part of your dorm, and ask if you can study in their room for 1 or 2 hours sometimes.

18. Oct 27, 2009 #17

I'm curious, what is your home country and where do you study?

If they ignore you and play the music at nights all the time, then they are f.cked up. My advice is to change place of living or at least use ear plugs. I don't see any other options. In dorm you should be able to learn and make friends. I also lived in dorm and had also some problems, interesting situations.

Once i had roommate might, who snored like Godzilla. That's a real problem. From one side you wanna stay far from him form other it is his health fault.

Once a some guy also complained about loud company at night. The guards came and beat up some guys with the stacks. Funny thing was that they took the wrong room. Welcome to the east Europe.

With one of my other room mates we had a problem too. He loved to sit at pc all the night. He sleeped like from 5am till 1pm. That was a real pc hardcore geek. I hate the sound of pc ventilator.

19. Oct 27, 2009 #18

A friend of mine also has a big problem with noise. To eliminate high and low frequencies, he wears ear plugs and a headset for professionals. I've tried this combination, and it's quite impressive. When someone talks 2m from you, you can't hear a sound.

20. Oct 27, 2009 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A bit uncomfortable for sleeping, don't you think? And, as DaveC points out, how exactly are you supposed to hear your alarm in the morning if you wear those to sleep? People shouldn't be prevented from sleeping in dorms just so some other inconsiderate nitwit can listen to thumping bass all night.

21. Oct 27, 2009 #20

Yes, that doesn't solve the problem at all for the night ! (I didn't say it would ;-))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook