Gyroscopes, moment of inertia, rotational energy and friction.

Then use one of the kinematic equations.In summary, a gyroscope with a solid disk of diameter 1m and mass 100kg has a moment of inertia of 25kgm2 about its rotational axis. If the disk has an angular velocity of 75 revolutions per second, the kinetic energy of rotation is 70312.5J. To bring the disk to a stop, a brake exerting a frictional force of 100N will take 37.5 seconds, assuming constant acceleration.
j-e_c

Homework Statement

A gyroscope consists of a solid disk of diameter 1m and mass 100kg mounted on an axis passing through the center of mass of the disk.

(a) Calculate the moment of inertia of the disk about its rotational axis.
(b) What is the kinetic energy of rotation of the disk if its angular velocity is 75 revolutions per second.
(c) A brake is pressed against the edge of the disk to arrest its motion. The frictional force which the brake exerts on the disk is 100N. How long will it take to come to rest?

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I=mR2 = 0.5x0.5x100 = 25kgm2
(b) K=0.5I[tex]\omega[/tex]2 = 0.5x25x75x75 = 70312.5J
(c) Which I'm not sure about:

E=F.d (force x distance)
d=s.t (speed x time)
So E=F.s.t

The initial speed = s1 = [tex]\omega[/tex]R = 75x0.5 = 37.5m/s
The final speed = s2 = 0m/s
So the average speed = 18.75m/s

t= E/(F.s) = 70312.5/(100x18.75) = 37.5s

Physics news on Phys.org
j-e_c said:
(a) I=mR2 = 0.5x0.5x100 = 25kgm2
The rotational inertia of a disk is not mR2.
(b) K=0.5I[tex]\omega[/tex]2 = 0.5x25x75x75 = 70312.5J
ω is measured in radians per second.
(c) Which I'm not sure about:

E=F.d (force x distance)
d=s.t (speed x time)
So E=F.s.t

The initial speed = s1 = [tex]\omega[/tex]R = 75x0.5 = 37.5m/s
The final speed = s2 = 0m/s
So the average speed = 18.75m/s

t= E/(F.s) = 70312.5/(100x18.75) = 37.5s
Once you correct your answers to the first two parts, this method will work. You can also calculate the torque and then find the rotational acceleration using Newton's 2nd law for rotation.

1. What is a gyroscope and how does it work?

A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disc that is mounted on an axis. It works by utilizing the principle of conservation of angular momentum. When the axis of the gyroscope is tilted, the gyroscopic effect causes it to resist the change in direction, resulting in the axis remaining in its original orientation.

2. What is moment of inertia and how is it calculated?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does rotational energy differ from linear energy?

Rotational energy is the energy associated with an object's rotation, while linear energy is the energy associated with an object's movement in a straight line. Rotational energy depends on the moment of inertia and angular velocity of an object, while linear energy depends on an object's mass and linear velocity.

4. How does friction affect the motion of a gyroscope?

Friction can cause a gyroscope to slow down and eventually stop its rotation. This is because friction acts against the motion of the gyroscope's spinning axis, causing it to lose energy and come to a halt.

5. How are gyroscopes used in everyday life?

Gyroscopes are used in many everyday applications such as navigation systems, image stabilization in cameras, and even in toys like yo-yos and spinning tops. They are also used in aircraft and ships to maintain stability and control during flight or navigation.