Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hadamard product to Matrix product transformation

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    I've been trying to find an answer to this for some time now, if anyone can provide a definitive answer, they'll have the satisfaction of knowing that several University mathematics professors haven't been able to come up with one...

I am looking for a way to transform from a Hadamard product (element-wise matrix multiplication) into a classic matrix product. Before I get flamed for posing a supposedly stupid question, the answer is related to quantum networks - (see -

p. 951).

So more specifically - Let us start with a matrix Z, Z is an element of Real. Element wise multiplication is given by .*, regular multiplication is * . A ranges between 0 and positive infinity, B ranges between -infinity and positive infinity.

A.*Z = B*Z

Is there a function that maps A to B?

To provide more information, think about B. If we exponentiate it to 0, we get the identity matrix (I) . If we exponentiate it by -1 (assuming it does have an inverse) then we get Z. On the left hand side of the equation - if A is uniform (i.e. all matrix elements are identical), then we get Z. If A is the identity matrix, then we get (I). I'm chiefly interested in what happens in the inbetween states (i.e. between no change and orthogonalization). Transitioning B is straightforward (exponentiate to p where p ranges between 0 and -1). Transitioning A is less so. I get the feeling that the answer has something to do with rotation, but it's n-dimensional...

Any advice (or references) would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2007 #2
    To map between A and B, I guess you can use A = (BZ)./Z, and B = (A.*Z)Z^-1. The function is probably dependent on the structure of Z, and therefore Z can't be separated out.

If that's the case, then what is the function that transitions from identity (I) through Z and then to uniform (all values are 1/n)?
  4. Jun 7, 2010 #3

I was wondering if you found an answer to your question. I stumbled on a similar problem.

5. Feb 26, 2011 #4
    The formula A.*Z=B*Z is not possible in general. Here is a counter example using a matrix rank inequality.

We have rank(A.*Z)=rank(B*Z)<=min(rank(B),rank(Z)).

Let A=[1 -1;1 1]' and Z=[1 1;1 1]', then rank(A)=2 and rank(Z)=1. Pick whatever B you like,

then 2=rank(A)=rank(A.*Z)<=min(rank(B),rank(Z))=1 which is impossible

and we have a counter example.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?