Half-Male, Half-Female Bird

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
I was not aware of such a thing.

n-CARDINAL-large570.jpg

You don't have to be an ornithologist to know that red northern cardinals are male and brownish-gray ones are female.

But what about a Cardinalis cardinalis that sports red feathers on one side of its body and brownish-gray feathers on the other? Why, that cardinal is half-male and half-female, of course--and just such a rare bird has been observed in northwestern Illinois.

An example of a phenomenon biologists call bilateral gynandromorphism, the bird was observed for more than 40 days between Dec. 2008 and March 2010--and it certainly caught the attention of the scientists who spotted it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...dinal-plumage_n_6392336.html?utm_hp_ref=birds

Likes Digitalism, PWiz, lisab and 6 others

Answers and Replies

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's amazing, isn't it? I recently heard about it as well, butterflies are beautiful examples as well.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Evo
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Like Frank Gorshin in Star Trek!

Likes edward, dlgoff and Evo
If a male cardinal approaches on the red side and starts to pick a fight this little birdie only has to turn the other cheek. :D

Shades of the Starship Enterprise:

Intriguingly, another gynandromorph cardinal sighted briefly in 1969 had the opposite plumage, they note: the male’s bright red plumes on the right, the drabber female feathers on the left.
bold mine

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/12/half-male-half-female-bird-has-rough-life

Last edited:
Based on my observations and interactions with quite many people, I think most "gay" males of higher social positions in life share this feature.
If a male cardinal approaches on the red side and starts to pick a fight this little birdie only has to turn the other cheek....

Evo
Mentor
I know this is a relatively old post, but just thought I'd chime in. I think the term is actually 'leucistic' http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/abnormal-coloration-in-birds-melanin-reduction/. It is not both male and female, it just has a reduction in melanin on one half of its body, for whatever reason. It's definitely not unheard of, but the symmetry is pretty spectacular.
No, the condition is a gynandromorph and is an organism that contains both male and female characteristics. Please read the information posted before replying.

Yes, I read that. I was only suggesting that it looks much whiter than a typical female cardinal. Females are not white, they actually have a fair amount of color, suggesting this bird might be leucistic instead of a gynandromorph.

Either way, it's surprising that they never actually caught the bird to sample its DNA, yet an article is apparently published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Evo
Mentor
Yes, I read that. I was only suggesting that it looks much whiter than a typical female cardinal. Females are not white, they actually have a fair amount of color, suggesting this bird might be leucistic instead of a gynandromorph.

Either way, it's surprising that they never actually caught the bird to sample its DNA, yet an article is apparently published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology.
Yes, it does look much whiter so there could be a reason for the lighter coloring for the female half as you state, but it's still half male/half female.

Likes Silicon Waffle