Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half-Male, Half-Female Bird

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I was not aware of such a thing.

n-CARDINAL-large570.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...dinal-plumage_n_6392336.html?utm_hp_ref=birds

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's amazing, isn't it? I recently heard about it as well, butterflies are beautiful examples as well.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    Nature is so flexible!

5. Jan 2, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Like Frank Gorshin in Star Trek!

6. Jan 4, 2015 #5
    If a male cardinal approaches on the red side and starts to pick a fight this little birdie only has to turn the other cheek. :D

Shades of the Starship Enterprise:

bold mine

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2014/12/half-male-half-female-bird-has-rough-life

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Jan 5, 2015 #6
    Based on my observations and interactions with quite many people, I think most "gay" males of higher social positions in life share this feature.

8. Jun 10, 2015 #7
  9. Jun 10, 2015 #8

Evo

No, the condition is a gynandromorph and is an organism that contains both male and female characteristics. Please read the information posted before replying.

10. Jun 10, 2015 #9
    Yes, I read that. I was only suggesting that it looks much whiter than a typical female cardinal. Females are not white, they actually have a fair amount of color, suggesting this bird might be leucistic instead of a gynandromorph.

Either way, it's surprising that they never actually caught the bird to sample its DNA, yet an article is apparently published in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology.

11. Jun 10, 2015 #10

Evo

Yes, it does look much whiter so there could be a reason for the lighter coloring for the female half as you state, but it's still half male/half female.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook