1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half power frequency divides by sqrt(2) instead of 2 why?

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem is to find the half power frequencies of a RLC circuit.
    Z = √(R2 + (WL-1/WC)2)

2. Relevant equations

Power(P) = V2/Z
    Pmax = V2/R <---because Z min = R

3. The attempt at a solution
    P/2 = V2/2R = V2/Z
    Z=2R
    (R2 + (WL-1/WC)2) = 4R2
    (WL-1/WC)2 - 3R2 = 0
    W2-3WR/L-1/LC = 0
    Solve for w to get half power frequencies.

Book gets : W2+-WR/L -1/LC = 0

Cant figure out why Pmax is divided by sqrt(2) instead of 2

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Twigg

Gold Member

Did you make sure to convert from amplitudes to RMS values of voltage and/or current?

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    To convert V2/R to VRMS2/R you divide V by 1/√2
    It would square, and become power = V2/2R
    P/2 = V2/4R
    Trying to get P/2 = V2/R√2
    I dunno... interesting tip though. 10 min messing with it and I am still not seeing it though.

5. Aug 16, 2016 #4

Twigg

Gold Member

The issue isn't RMS/peak conversions, sorry for the confusion. I missed this the first time I read your post, but ##P \neq \frac{V^{2}}{Z}##. The correct relationship is ##P = RI^{2} = R\frac{V^{2}}{Z^{2}} = R\frac{V^{2}}{R^{2} + (X_{L} - X_{C})^{2}}##. I can't tell what the book is doing from the information given though. Can you show their steps and refer us to the book and page?

6. Aug 16, 2016 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Is there resonance involved? Is that the complete problem statement? Check out this thread if it is any help.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5372988/

7. Aug 17, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Only if Z is a pure resistance AND the full voltage V is across that pure resistance Z.

For your series RLC circuit, at resonance, Z is purely real, and equal to R Ohms.
    Power = power in the resistance = I2⋅R

Off resonance, at a frequency where X = R, the value of Z has increased to magnitude ##\sqrt{2}{R}## so current is reduced by a factor ##\frac 1 {\sqrt2}##
    At this reduced current, what now is the power in the circuit's series resistance?

8. Aug 17, 2016 #7
    Schaums outlines Electric Circuits 5th edition Q12.5

Here is the complete information :
    For the series RLC circuit shown in fig. 12-36, find the resonant frequency ##W_{0}=2πf_{0}##. Also obtain the half power frequencies and the bandwidth β. V(w), R=100, L = .5H, C=0.4u (V(w) is a variable. I dont care about the numbers I only care about the derivation because I want to understand this...)

At resonance, ##Z_{in}(w)=R## and ##w_{0} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}##
    ##w_{0} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{0.5(0.4x10^-6)}}=2236.1rads## ##f_{0}=\frac{w_{0}}{2π}=355.9 Hz##

The power formula ##P = I_{eff}^{2}R = \frac{V_{eff}R}{|Z_{in}^{2}|}## shows that ##P_{max} = \frac{V_{eff}^{2}}{R}##, which is achieved at ##w=w_{0}##, and that ##P= \frac{1}{2}P_{max}## when ##|Z_{in}|^{2}=2R^{2}##; that is, when ##wL - \frac{1}{WC} = +-R## or ##w^{2} +- \frac{R}{L}w - \frac{1}{LC} = 0##

corresponding to the upper sign, there is a single real positive root ##w_{h} = \frac{R}{2L} + \sqrt{\frac{R}{2L}^{2} + \frac{1}{LC}} = 2338.3## rad/s or ##f_{h} = 372.1Hz##

and corresponding to the lower sign, the single real positive root ##w_{l} = -\frac{R}{2L} + \sqrt{\frac{R}{2L}^{2} + \frac{1}{LC}} = 2138.3## rad/s or ##f_{l}=340.3## Hz

Another thing I dont get is why the +- in the quadratic formula is ##+-B+\frac{\sqrt{B^{2}-4AC}}{2A}## instead of ##B+-\frac{\sqrt{B^{2}-4AC}}{2A}## I know it has to do with that +- R but I guess it just becomes arbitrary when you have a +- B term? even though doesnt it change the answers? Still, my main question is figuring out once and for all that blasted ##\sqrt{2}## ! This took like 25 minutes to type up! So ill read the other replys after a break!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  9. Aug 19, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Quiet in this thread ...

Re: "why the +- in the quadratic formula is ##\ \ \displaystyle \frac {\pm B+\sqrt{B^{2}-4AC}}{2A}##."

You were looking at ##
    |Z_{in}|^{2}=2R^{2} ## which is satisfied if ##
    w^{2} +\frac{R}{L}w - \frac{1}{LC} = 0## and also if ##
    w^{2} - \frac{R}{L}w - \frac{1}{LC} = 0##.

That's two quadratic equations. If there is a resonance, each has two real solutions, one positive ##\omega## and one negative. You only want the positive.

10. Aug 22, 2016 #9
    Interesting. Is there a theory behind why to only take the positive roots that I can google?

11. Aug 22, 2016 #10
    When you say "Only if Z is a pure resistance AND the full voltage V is across that pure resistance Z.", Can you elaborate a bit... I am trying to find the Z where ##P=\frac{1}{2}Pmax##. Max power is where the impedance is pure resistance and the frequency is resonance. So if power = ##\frac{V^2}{R}## at resonance, there should be a answer for Z where that power is 1/2. So voltage, resistance, everything is known but Z in the equation ##\frac{V^2}{2R} = \frac{V^2}{Z}##. So if I am trying to find the value for Z where it would be equal to half of pure resistance. Can you elaborate a bit on why thats wrong because I am staring blankly lol

Then you said : "Off resonance, at a frequency where X = R" <--- (do you mean AT resonance, X = R ?), "the value of Z has increased to magnitude ##\sqrt{2}R##"

At resonance, ##Z=\sqrt{R^2 + (WL-\frac{1}{WC})^2} = R^2##. So, how does ##Z=R^2## become ##\sqrt{2}R## ?

I see though if I take for face value and plug ##P=IV = \frac{I}{\sqrt{2}}V = \frac{V^2}{\sqrt{2}R}## it works out...
    But at Vmax P=ImaxVmax, Z=R. Why does ##I = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}Imax##? One of my assumptions is probably wrong I know, since I am getting the problem wrong.

12. Aug 22, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Your driving frequency is positive, so the response frequency is positive as well.

13. Aug 22, 2016 #12

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I mean move away from resonance until you find a frequency where reactance X equals resistance R, in magnitude. As you know, precisely at resonance, in a series circuit the total reactance = 0 ohms.

The equation ##\require{enclose}\enclose{box}[mathcolor="white",mathbackground="yellow"]{\color{black}{power=\frac{V^2}Z}}## is correct only where Z is resistance (no part of Z can be reactance in that equation), and V must be the voltage measured across that resistance (and not across the whole RLC circuit).

14. Aug 23, 2016 #13

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your power formula is wrong. Z is the magnitude of the impedance. The power is P=V I cos(θ), where V and I mean the rms values of voltage and current, and θ is the phase lag of the current behind the voltage. Now, you know that I=V/Z, and the resistance is the real part of the impedance, R=Zcos(θ). Therefore ##P=\left(\frac{V^2}{Z}\right)\left(\frac{R}{Z}\right)=\frac{V^2R}{Z^2}##
    You get the same formula by using the fact that AC power is dissipated only on resistors. The power is P=I2R, and I=V/Z, so ##P=\frac {V^2R}{Z^2}##. At resonance, Z=R, so Pres=V2/R.

15. Aug 27, 2016 #14
    God thanks dood I am finally seeing it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted