1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate power from angular frequency of LRC circuit

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A voltage Δv = (120 V) sin ωt (in SI units) is applied across a series combination of a 2.13 H inductor, a 12.8 μF capacitor, and a 15.0 Ω resistor.

a) Determine the angular frequency, ω0 at which the power delivered to the resistor is a maximum. = 192
    b) Calculate the power at that frequency.
    c) Determine the two angular frequencies ω1 and ω2 at which the power delivered is one-half the maximum value. [The Q of the circuit is approximately ω0/(ω2 - ω1).] Enter the smaller one first.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure
    P = Irms^2 * R
    P = IV

z = sqrt(R + (wL - 1/(wC)))
    z = V/I

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got part a as 192, but I'm not sure where to go with part b. I calculated z to equal 15.0685 but how do I calculate I? Do i have to use z=V/I, but then what value do I use for V? Would it just be 120V? I'm not sure where to take this, so any help would be great. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

At resonance (ω = ωo) what is the magnitude of the imaginary component of the impedance? Hint: at resonance, |XL| = |XC|.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    So the imaginary component would just be 0 and z=R? But what do I use for V?

5. Apr 4, 2012 #4

gneill

At resonance, yes. So, given that the impedance at resonance is purely real (and equal to R), what is the power dissipated?

6. Apr 4, 2012 #5
    Zero power is dissipated right?

7. Apr 4, 2012 #6

gneill

Nope. The supply voltage V still sees the resistor R (since Z = R at resonance).

8. Apr 4, 2012 #7
    Ok, but won't I = V/R and then P=V*I? but i'm not getting the correct answer, unless im not supposed to use 120 for V

9. Apr 4, 2012 #8

gneill

What value did you get for the power? Do you know what the correct value should be?

It could be that the 120V is a peak value rather than rms.

10. Apr 4, 2012 #9
    Yep, wasnt rms. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook