1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating half power frequency/cutoff frequency

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

*(Problems attached as images)*

For first problem:

##\cfrac{|V_2|}{|V_1|} = \cfrac{1}{\sqrt{4+(\omega RC)^2}}##

For second problem:

##\cfrac{|V_2|}{|V_1|} = \cfrac{\sqrt{1+(\omega RC)^2}}{\sqrt{4 + (\omega RC)^2}}##

I have to calculate half power frequency for both cases.

2. Relevant equations

At half power frequency, power absorbed by circuit = max power/2

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot understand why the problem was solved differently in both cases. In first problem,##\cfrac{V_2}{V_1}## was set to ##\cfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}## and in the second problem it was set to ##\cfrac{1}{2}##. While in both problems, max value of ##\cfrac{V_2}{V_1}## occurs at ##\omega = 0## and is equal to ##\cfrac{1}{2}##.

Can someone please clear this doubt?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Power = Voltage * Current

4. May 6, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. But, I didn't get you. I am familiar with that formula. I understand that we use that formula to substitute ##\cfrac{|V_2|}{|V_1|} = \cfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## but how does it explain the ##\cfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}## part ?

Thanks again.

5. May 6, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

When the impedance is reduced, the current increases. Thus the power ratio is not equal to the voltage ratio.

6. May 6, 2015 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

When the impedance is reduced, the current increases. Thus the power ratio is not equal to the voltage ratio.

7. May 6, 2015 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check again the frequency and maximum output for the second circuit. How do capacitors behave with frequency?

For the second solution shown, I think the magnitude of the voltage ratio should have been set to ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## rather than ##\frac{1}{2}##

8. May 6, 2015 #7
    Thanks for the reply. I think I got it. The max output should be 1 when ##\omega \rightarrow \infty##?

9. May 6, 2015 #8

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yup. The capacitor starts to look like a short at high frequencies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted