1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian/Angular Momentum Commuter

1. Apr 1, 2006 #1

eep

I'm having trouble proving that the Hamiltonian commutes with each component of angular momentum as long as the potential only depends on r.

I have gotten to the following step:

[tex]
    [H,L_x] = [\frac{p^2}{2m} + V(r), L_x] = [V(r), L_x]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    [V(r), L_x] = [V(r), yp_z - zp_y]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = V(r)yp_z - V(r)zp_y - yp_zV(r) + zp_yV(r)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = y[V(r), p_z] - z[V(r), p_y]
    [/tex]

I'm not sure where to go from here... the problem states that V depends only on r but I'm not sure if I should interperet that as V being linear in terms or r or if there can be higher powers. Help, please!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] V(r) [/tex] is meant to be a general function of [tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + x^2} [/tex]. The simplest way to evaluate those commutators is to use the position representation where [tex] \vec{p} = - i \hbar \vec{\nabla} [/tex]. You will find that the key feature is that [tex] V [/tex] depends on [tex] x [/tex], [tex] y[/tex], [tex] z [/tex] only through [tex] r [/tex].

4. Apr 1, 2006 #3

eep

Thank you!

5. Apr 1, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Physics Monkey already gave you the answer..Let me just add that it will be useful to use

[tex] {\partial V \over \partial z} = {\partial V \over \partial r} {\partial r \over \partial z} [/tex]

and so on.

Patrick

6. Apr 3, 2006 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fact that [itex] \hat{H} [/itex] is rotationally invariant follows simply from the fact that [itex] V [/itex] depends only on [itex] |\vec{r}| [/itex]. Since the rotation group is [itex] SO(3) [/itex] and its generators are the angular momentum operators, it follows by definition that

[tex] [\hat{L}_{i},\hat{H}]_{-} =\hat{0} , \forall \ i=1,2,3. [/tex].

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?