Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Hammer & a nail -- Calculating penetration depth into wood for first strike

1. May 25, 2016 #1
    If you know the weight of the hammer, and the velocity it hits the nail. What would you need to know about friction forces, etc in order to calculate how far it is driven down into the wood? So assume the hammer weight 0,5kg and it is being swung at 50m/s when it hits the nail. Friction is (?). how far is the nail driven down?

I assume these two equations at least are needed.
    1. Impuls = p= m*v
    2. Energy = m*v^2/2

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 25, 2016 #3
    What browser do you use to access the link?
    It doesn't seem to work with either Chrome or Firefox.

5. May 25, 2016 #4
    The link works fine on Chrome for me.

6. May 25, 2016 #5
    Now it works for me too.
    Maybe something temporary down on their side.
    Thank you.

7. May 27, 2016 #6
    Thanks.

How to solve the first one? ive tried using both the momentum and energy equations, calculating the v for the hammer+nail weight knowing the hammer weight and hammer initial velocity. i got something like 9,73 and 9,86 but it says incorrect for both of them.

second question uses the answer (velocity) of first questions, just multiplied by the weight i guess to get the impulse?

third not sure

8. May 27, 2016 #7

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rather than friction, don't you need the fracture energy needed to propagate a crack? That, in turn, will depend on the energies needed to both separate and rupture wood fibers. Not sure how to get that information.

9. May 27, 2016 #8

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

The nail's addition to the problem(especially diameter, surface, point, etc.) measured in terms of lateral extraction resistance and species of wood is a messier complication than you might like - from 1959 -
    http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/naldc/download.xhtml?id=CAT88208690&content=PDF
    See pp 35-39

Extraction resistance is approximately the same as resistance to driving, driving requires more. But this is as good as it gets. Otherwise you have to go to ASTM for particular applications.

10. May 28, 2016 #9
    which wood are you talking about
    answer depends on type of wood , thinness of nail , material of nail , impact time ,etc too many variables
    take all but one factor const and plot a graph
    this might take you somewhere close to final expression

11. May 28, 2016 #10
    suppose type of wood , type of nail, thinness of nail etc physical properties are const
    assuming const force acts on hammer always
    now clock time taken to penetrate by slow motion cam
    u/t gives retardation (u is initial velo)
    plug retardation a in-
    (u^2)/(2.a) gives penetration distance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted