Hammer press equivalent to 6 Ton hydraulic press

• Thread starter LALIT NEGI
  • Start date
LALIT NEGI
TL;DR Summary
i need a help, this is my first post in this platform, actually few year ago I perform a forging operation in a 6 Ton forging press but now i have 3 Ton hammer press, can i use that press to make that product.
is there any calculation to find out equivalent hammer press of a forging press
i need a help, this is my first post in this platform, actually few year ago I perform a forging operation in a 6 Ton forging press but now i have 3 Ton hammer press, can i use that press to make that product.

Answers and Replies

Dr.D
I'm really no expert on this materials processing question, but I doubt that an exact equivalence can be established. With the hydraulic press, the metal deformation is relatively slow and continuous. With the hammer press, the metal deformation is very rapid. I would expect significantly different properties in the resulting forged material in these two processes.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
Welcome to PF.

The rating in tons is probably 1:1, only the time is different.

The forging press would build up pressure on the die gradually, until the process completed. The hammer press will apply a single impact, that may require the dies be mounted differently as excess force must be carried by the die.

Is the pressed material hot or cold? Is the workpiece being bent or coined?

If the process was previously done OK in a 6 ton press, that does not mean it required all 6 tons. It may only require one ton, so it could well be done in the 3 ton hammer press.

Suggested for: Hammer press equivalent to 6 Ton hydraulic press

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post