Hammer press equivalent to 6 Ton hydraulic press

In summary, the question is whether a 3 Ton hammer press can be used to make a product that was previously made in a 6 Ton forging press. The expert provided some considerations such as the difference in metal deformation speed and resulting material properties between the two processes. They also mentioned that the rating in tons may not be a direct comparison and that the process may require different die mounting and consideration of factors such as the temperature and type of workpiece. It is possible for the 3 Ton hammer press to be used, but further details and considerations are needed.
LALIT NEGI
TL;DR Summary
i need a help, this is my first post in this platform, actually few year ago I perform a forging operation in a 6 Ton forging press but now i have 3 Ton hammer press, can i use that press to make that product.
is there any calculation to find out equivalent hammer press of a forging press
i need a help, this is my first post in this platform, actually few year ago I perform a forging operation in a 6 Ton forging press but now i have 3 Ton hammer press, can i use that press to make that product.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm really no expert on this materials processing question, but I doubt that an exact equivalence can be established. With the hydraulic press, the metal deformation is relatively slow and continuous. With the hammer press, the metal deformation is very rapid. I would expect significantly different properties in the resulting forged material in these two processes.

Likes Twigg
LALIT NEGI said:
Welcome to PF.

The rating in tons is probably 1:1, only the time is different.

The forging press would build up pressure on the die gradually, until the process completed. The hammer press will apply a single impact, that may require the dies be mounted differently as excess force must be carried by the die.

Is the pressed material hot or cold? Is the workpiece being bent or coined?

If the process was previously done OK in a 6 ton press, that does not mean it required all 6 tons. It may only require one ton, so it could well be done in the 3 ton hammer press.

1. What is a hammer press equivalent to a 6 ton hydraulic press?

A hammer press is a type of mechanical press that uses a hammer or ram to apply force to a workpiece. It is equivalent to a 6 ton hydraulic press in terms of the amount of force it can exert on a workpiece.

2. How does a hammer press compare to a hydraulic press?

A hammer press is a simpler and less expensive alternative to a hydraulic press. It uses mechanical force instead of hydraulic fluid to generate pressure, making it more suitable for smaller scale projects.

3. What are the advantages of using a hammer press?

One advantage of using a hammer press is its versatility. It can be used for a variety of tasks, such as bending, punching, and shearing. It also requires less maintenance and has a lower initial cost compared to a hydraulic press.

4. Are there any limitations to using a hammer press?

One limitation of a hammer press is its limited force capacity. It may not be suitable for heavy-duty tasks that require more than 6 tons of force. It also requires physical effort from the operator to operate the press, which can be tiring for larger projects.

5. How can I determine if a hammer press is the right choice for my project?

The decision to use a hammer press depends on the specific requirements of your project. Consider the size and type of workpiece, the amount of force needed, and the budget for equipment. It may be helpful to consult with a professional or do a trial run before making a decision.