Optimizing Pin Diameter and Column Thickness for Hydraulic Press Design

In summary: With two pins, one would be supporting more weight than is necessary. In summary, the designer is considering using a plastic design, but is concerned about the stresses caused by the holes. He is looking for feedback on a design that uses one pin per side to support the weight of the press.
Turbine
Hi guys,

Working on a 50-ton hydraulic press design using a standard H-frame design, like this:

bva-imp5506-hydraulics-press.jpg

I'm working on the design of the vertical members. Similar to the photo above, the verticals have 1.25" diameter holes drilled for pins that support the horizontal bed. The problem: while determining the size of steel to use, I'm finding that the hole stresses require a much thicker steel than what I see being used in commercial machines.

Specifically, in order to support the maximum 50-ton load, that equates to 25,000 lbf per vertical support. If I use two 1.25" pins per side (4 total) to support the horizontal bed, that works out to 12,500 lbf of force per hole.

I've modeled a 1"x4" A36 flat bar at some length with 1.25" dia. holes space 5" apart. The base is fixed, there is a bearing force of 12,500 lbf per hole (so 25,000 lbf total), and a reaction force of 25,000 lbf along the top of the bar. Running SolidWorks Simulation, I get the following:

img1.JPG
img2.JPG

The max stress is in the top hole, 27,600 psi. While this is OK, if I use, say, 1/2" plate, it yields. Commercial units I've seen use 1/2" or less. Many only use a single pin per side. I just don't get it. Am I doing something wrong here? Are the manufactures not taking into account the hole stresses? Are they not as important as I'm suspecting?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Plastic design can greatly reduce the mass of a design since it takes a small amount of the material safely past the yield point. Maybe you should consider plastic deformation of the hole. Allowing some yield will limit the peak stress as the force is then spread over a greater area.

I use induction hardened, high tensile hydraulic rod for the pins. Since pins must be slightly smaller than the holes there needs to be a pear shaped deformation of the holes to bear the full load on the surface of the pin.

The bed is usually made from channel, so the pin is against, and deforms the flat flange. That is not good for the bed channel's web, or the pin. For heavier presses, the bed needs to have holes through thicker plate or collars.

The presses that use 4 vertical bars tend to be a bit unstable as the misalignment of the head and bed can eject the tool or work piece. It is better to use a single channel for the vertical on either side. Select or fabricate channel with a heavy flange.

Vertical hole separation of 5” gives you 5” steps. You might consider drilling less holes in the vertical columns. By drilling two holes, one above the other in the bed, say 3” apart, you can then use less holes, say 6” apart, in the vertical, to get 3” steps. My last press design used three holes in the bed to give a “vernier” choice of bed height and so better utilisation of the ram length without unstable packing.

Likes Turbine
Baluncore said:
Plastic design can greatly reduce the mass of a design since it takes a small amount of the material safely past the yield point. Maybe you should consider plastic deformation of the hole. Allowing some yield will limit the peak stress as the force is then spread over a greater area.

Excellent information! Thank you very much. I am working on this as a senior capstone project for mechanical engineering. We're taught so much to keep things below yield, not much has been discussed in my courses about designing in the plastic region. I discussed this with one of my professors today, who is a licensed PE, and he did agree. Although for the purpose of this project, they may not want us to produce a design that is yielding. I'm still working on clarification there.

C-channel was looked at for the vertical members (and is preferred), but standard C-channel is tapered and the hole stresses required the change to use flat bar. With some allowable yielding, that would certainly open back up the possibility to use C-channel, or plate bent to such a shape. Obviously the commercial units work, so I don't doubt the design. We just need to produce a justifiable design.

Use of a single pin per side would also be preferred, but again, with the hole stresses simulated, distributing the loads over two pins per side was needed to prevent yielding. I'll continue to dive into understanding plastic design better. If you know of any specific resources that may help, please let me know. Thank you!

Turbine said:
Use of a single pin per side would also be preferred, but again, with the hole stresses simulated, distributing the loads over two pins per side was needed to prevent yielding.
I think you misunderstood my suggestion. I suggest only one pin per side, but two possible holes, in the bed, one above the other. That halves the number of holes needed in the columns for the same bed position step size.
If the holes in lighter columns were fitted with collars to spread the pin load, halving the number of collars would be a saving worth taking.

For shear, the cross-section area of the pin rises with the square of the diameter, but the pin bearing area only rises linearly with diameter, and with column thickness. Have you solved for optimum pin diameter and therefore column thickness?

What is a hydraulic press and how does it work?

A hydraulic press is a machine that uses hydraulic fluid to generate a compressive force. It works by using a pump to push the fluid into a cylinder, which then pushes a piston to create pressure. This pressure is used to move a large, heavy object, typically used for pressing, shaping, or cutting materials.

What is Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and why is it used in hydraulic press design?

Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a computerized method used to analyze the strength and structural integrity of a design. It is used in hydraulic press design to simulate and predict the behavior of the press under different loading conditions. This allows engineers to identify potential weaknesses or areas for improvement before physically building the press.

What are the key factors to consider in hydraulic press design?

The key factors to consider in hydraulic press design include the type and size of the press, the materials it will be used for, the maximum force and pressure needed, the expected lifespan, and safety features. Additionally, the press must be designed to withstand the forces and stresses it will encounter during operation.

What are the benefits of using FEA in hydraulic press design?

Using FEA in hydraulic press design allows for more accurate and efficient designs. It can help identify potential weaknesses or areas for improvement, reducing the need for costly physical prototypes. FEA can also provide valuable data on the performance of the press, such as stress and strain levels, which can inform design decisions and improve overall safety and reliability.

What are the limitations of FEA in hydraulic press design?

While FEA is a powerful tool in hydraulic press design, it does have some limitations. FEA relies on the accuracy of the input data, so it is important to have precise measurements and material properties. Additionally, FEA cannot predict all possible failure modes and may not accurately account for various factors such as temperature, wear and tear, and human error.