Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Handsome calculus n00b seeks reassuring relationship with numbers.

1. Aug 2, 2006 #1
    Hi peeps! I have some minor calculus problem, well confusion is the problem.

I was playing about with some numbers while doing some differential calc problems, when i started to explore a little further one expression.

[/tex] ----- (1)

Of course i thought about rational numbers and primes, and that a rational number is any number which can be expressed as the quotient of two integers.

So assuming:
    [tex]n \in Z^+[/tex]
    [tex]m \in Z^+[/tex]

I then thought about what if the exponent was a prime, so
    [tex]\frac{p}{m}[/tex] where [tex]p=prime[/tex]

Then for:
    [tex]1 < m < p[/tex]
    The exponent would allways be irrational.

Upon seeing the inequality expresison i wrote down i wondered if there was a link between it and the triangle inequality expression. Is this the case?
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2006 #2
    god title, but i think its puting people off
  4. Aug 2, 2006 #3
    story of my life that :cry:
  5. Aug 2, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

The last equality isn't true. Do you want:

[tex]\sqrt[m]{\frac{1}{n}}=n^{-1/m}[/tex] ?

What does this mean? The exponent is p/m, which is rational when m is rational. Are you saying the function is irrational? This depends on which of the above two functions you're talking about.

I don't see what you mean. What kind of link are you thinking of?
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  6. Aug 2, 2006 #5
    Oops i forgot the x, sorry im latex illiterate. I meant the first correction, edited my post.

Ok ill re-phrase the post to clear things up, apologies.
  7. Aug 2, 2006 #6
    hmm nevermind, its best you all forget i ever posted this......i feel so stupid now :blushing: :redface:
  8. Aug 2, 2006 #7
    It doesn't work. If x = 27, p = 7 and m = 3, then x ^(-p/m) = 27 ^(-7/3) = 1/3^7. None of these are irrational.
  9. Aug 2, 2006 #8
    Yes, ok dont rub it in :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?