Hanging Mass - Answer says that I am wrong

• Thread starter Sabellic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the relevant forces for calculating the tension in the rope are the tension in the rope acting in two directions on the object and the force of gravity, or the object's weight, acting down. The equations used are force (tension) - force (weight of mass) = 0 for equilibrium. The solution involves using the given angle of 15 degrees to calculate the tension in the rope, with a correct answer of 38 Newtons for each rope. However, there is a discrepancy in the text's answer of 76 Newtons, which can possibly be attributed to a typo or a mistake in the calculation.
Sabellic

Homework Statement

The relevant forces are tension in the rope, which acts in two directions on the object, and the force of gravity, the object's weight which acts down.
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9788/2kgut8.th.gif

Calculate the tension in the rope.

mass= 2.0 kg
tension force = unknown

Homework Equations

Force (tension) - Force (weight of mass) = 0 (because the system is in equilibrium).

The Attempt at a Solution

I put it up on image-shack:

http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0037hv3.jpg

I got 38 Newtons of tension on each rope. But the text tells me that I am wrong and that EACH string should equal 76 Newtons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given your angle of 15, 38N should be correct...but the only way to get their answer is if the angle is approximately halved.

Looks like a typo possibly born out of someone carelessly adding where they shouldn't. Using half the angle only yields 75N for me whereas the problem in the illustration yields something quite close to 38N (37.9N for me). For the text calculation to be based on just half the angle then the claim 76N would be too much in error. To claim exactly twice then suggests carelessness in preparing the text description of the answer.

Last edited:
your right,.. all they did was take 19.6/sin(15). should have been 19.6/(2sin(15))

2Tsin15(tension)-2*9.8kg=0

am i right?

Last edited:
19.6/2sin15 is coming something 15.07!

1. What is the purpose of a hanging mass?

A hanging mass is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate the effects of gravity and weight on an object. It can also be used to study concepts such as tension and equilibrium.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the hanging mass experiment?

The mass of the object being hung can affect the tension in the string or rope and the overall equilibrium of the system. The heavier the object, the more tension will be placed on the string and the more it will stretch. This can impact the accuracy and results of the experiment.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of a hanging mass experiment?

Aside from the mass of the object, other factors that can affect the accuracy of a hanging mass experiment include the length and material of the string, the angle at which the string is hung, and external forces such as air resistance or friction.

4. How is the weight of the hanging mass determined?

The weight of the hanging mass can be determined using a scale or by measuring the mass of the object directly. It is important to use accurate and precise measurements in order to obtain reliable results from the experiment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting a hanging mass experiment?

Yes, it is important to make sure the string or rope is securely fastened and can support the weight of the hanging mass. It is also recommended to wear safety goggles and handle the hanging mass with caution to avoid any potential accidents or injuries.