Hardest part about the general GRE

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General Gre
In summary: Math section is a breeze, but the essay section can be very challenging - especially if you don't have a lot of prior writing experience.
torquerotates
Hi guys, I'm going to be a junior next year so I think its a good idea for me to start looking into the GRE. Whats the hardest part of it?( analogies, reading etc..) Since I have a year to prep, I'll want to start on the hardest/(longest time to prep for) so I can get a high score when/if I take it next year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I didn't write the GRE, I'd definitely say the writing / verbal sections would be the hardest based on experience with other standardized test. Some people start reading novels and pratice writing well in advance.

The reading section is all about vocabulary. Analogies and antonyms are explicitly vocabulary. Fill in the sentence and reading comprehension are made difficult by throwing in an exotic vocabulary word. It's tough to prepare for this. If you are really up for it they have word lists for the most common GRE words. A lifetime of reading literature supposedly works too, but I couldn't justify it for one measly test.

I think time management and avoiding stupid mistakes are the biggest issues. Take as many practice tests as you can.

--

As for math,
The math is really easy content-wise, but the answers are intentionally chosen to trip you up and, there is the time constraint. Also, you can't go back if you realize you made a mistake. I made a stupid mistake early on the math section when I took it, only to realize the error a couple questions later, and it really messed with my mind and made me to lose concentration. I still got a good score so I'm not complaining, but these testing issues are a real factor.

Basically, even though the math is ludicrously simple (middle school level), don't forgo taking the math practice tests. Sit down and take them in the same style of the test situation (timed, no going back, etc).

--

As for verbal,
The verbal section is hugely weighted towards vocabulary. Thankfully, the test makers re-use many words over and over, and people have compiled lists of them which you can memorize. Google gre vocabulary words.

Again, get some practice to get a feel for the test maker's minds. After you take a few practice tests, you can practically predict the wrong answers on some questions just from psychology.

--

As for writing,
The key is to write a lot. Seriously. Groups have done studies of scores, and the only thing they could find that the longer the essay the higher the score.

Brainstorm for a couple minutes, and then just write write write. Throw ideas down, flow with it. These are not "real" essays, you don't have to be proud of them. A good way to add length is to just put in concrete examples, even if they don't quite apply to what you're talking about. If you just write a ton of BS that sort of sounds coherent, you can probably get a 4.5/6 or 5/6.

torquerotates said:
Hi guys, I'm going to be a junior next year so I think its a good idea for me to start looking into the GRE. Whats the hardest part of it?( analogies, reading etc..) Since I have a year to prep, I'll want to start on the hardest/(longest time to prep for) so I can get a high score when/if I take it next year.

Verbal section need not be the hardest part - if proper plans and strategies are adopted -try www.grevocabulary.org for some great tips and strategies.

What is the hardest part about the general GRE?

The hardest part about the general GRE is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, many test-takers find the quantitative reasoning section to be the most challenging. This section measures mathematical and problem-solving skills, and often requires a strong understanding of concepts and quick thinking under time pressure.

How can I prepare for the hardest part of the general GRE?

The best way to prepare for the hardest part of the general GRE is to familiarize yourself with the content and format of the exam. Practice with official GRE study materials and take timed practice tests to get a feel for the level of difficulty and time constraints. Additionally, consider seeking out a GRE prep course or hiring a tutor for personalized instruction and support.

Are there any specific strategies for tackling the hardest part of the general GRE?

Yes, there are several strategies you can use to tackle the hardest part of the general GRE. One important strategy is to carefully read and understand each question before attempting to solve it. Another helpful strategy is to eliminate obviously incorrect answer choices to increase your chances of choosing the correct answer. Additionally, practicing with timed tests can help you develop time management skills and improve your test-taking speed.

What resources are available to help me prepare for the hardest part of the general GRE?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the hardest part of the general GRE. Some options include official GRE study materials, prep courses, online practice tests, and study guides. Additionally, there are many free resources available online, such as practice questions and study tips from previous test-takers.

Is the hardest part of the general GRE the same for everyone?

No, the hardest part of the general GRE can vary from person to person. Some individuals may struggle with the verbal reasoning section, while others may find the analytical writing section to be the most challenging. It is important to identify your own strengths and weaknesses and focus on improving in the areas where you need the most help.