Hardware Random Generators: Transistors vs Diodes

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Zener diodes and transistors for random number generation, particularly in terms of their frequency spectrum. The preference for using Germanium due to its properties is mentioned, as well as the possibility of using photodiodes as noise sources. The cited article addresses some of the challenges in using these methods. The possibility of using linear feedback shift registers is also mentioned, along with the potential for further advancements in the field.
EinsteinKreuz
So which method works better for random number generation(in terms of flatter frequency spectrum): transistor breakdown or Zener noise?

I want to know whether to use a Zener diode or a Transistor when building a white noise generator. And FTR I intend to use Germanium because of its higher electron mobility and lower barrier potential.

But what about covered photodiode dark saturation current? Has that even been tested as a white noise source(Germanium photodiodes are much noisier than Silicon photodiodes).

Engineering news on Phys.org
meBigGuy said:
This article addresses some of the issues you will face.

http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/NOISE/NOISRC.HTM

The LM336 Zener diode this fellow used is of course made of SILICON rather than Germanium. I'd be interested to see the performance spectra for a Germanium diode. But I have yet to see any date for Germanium photodiode dark saturation current. I think I'll try the Germanium transistor breakdown noise approach.
But this page is quite dated! Much progress has been made in HRNGs(mainly in terms of electro-optical devices).

Not my field. Maybe someone with current knowledge will respond.

What is a hardware random generator?

A hardware random generator is a device that generates random numbers or bits using physical processes rather than software algorithms. This makes the output truly random and unpredictable.

What is the difference between transistors and diodes in a hardware random generator?

Transistors and diodes are both electronic components that can be used in a hardware random generator. Transistors use changes in voltage to generate random numbers, while diodes use fluctuations in current. Transistors tend to produce more high-speed random bits, while diodes are better at generating low-frequency random bits.

Which is better for a hardware random generator, transistors or diodes?

The choice between using transistors or diodes in a hardware random generator depends on the specific application. If high-speed random bits are needed, transistors would be a better choice. If low-frequency random bits are needed, diodes would be a better choice. Some hardware random generators use a combination of both transistors and diodes to produce a balanced output of high-speed and low-frequency random bits.

Why is a hardware random generator important?

A hardware random generator is important because it provides a source of truly random and unpredictable numbers, which are essential in many scientific and technological applications. It is also used in cryptography and security systems to generate encryption keys and passwords.

Are hardware random generators completely random?

No, hardware random generators are not completely random. They are considered to be "practically random" because they use physical processes that are inherently unpredictable. However, they can still be influenced by external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference, which can affect the randomness of the output.