1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Motion and The Coriolis Effect

1. Apr 24, 2007 #1
    I think that this is the proper place for this, but move it if I'm wrong.

I'm conducting a physics project that has to do with what I think is the coriolis effect and simple harmonic motion. If a free swinging pendulum is let swing from a point over a level sand pit, as it swings, it will leave trails in the sand. But the trails are not a linear, back and forth motion. The pendulum swings back and forth within a circlular pattern, making equal periods as it swings. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with earth's rotation, but im not sure what.

1: What exactly is the coriolis effect?
    2: Is the coriolis effect making the pendulum swing in a circle?
    3: From what i can find, the coriolis effect has nothing to do with earth's rotation directly, but a rotating frame of reference. Is this applicable to earth's rotation?
    4: Is there any background information that would be cool to apply or include in this presentation?
    5: Any other cool project ideas that have something to do with simple harmonic motion would be appreciated.

Oh, BTW, I'm also looking into doing an almost completely computer-generated presentation on something to do with either Time dialation, plasma, nuclear physics, or something neat with sub-atomic particles. Any ideas for this would also be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2
    i recommend searching google for what is known as a foucalut pendulum
    any classical mechanics text will show u all u need to know about this
    its sort of tricky as u have to have rotating frame of reference
    see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect
  4. Apr 25, 2007 #3

Gotta love Wikipedia. :)

thanks nate,
  5. May 8, 2007 #4
    okay, im trying to write a program to display a foucalut's pendulum. That covers a physical demonstration. I'm going to talk about what it is and what it shows. But....

I need to answer some sort of question... HELP!!!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?