Harmonic Motion and The Coriolis Effect

In summary, the coriolis effect is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a free swinging pendulum swings in a circle. The effect has nothing to do with Earth's rotation directly, but a rotating frame of reference. If Sean wants to do a presentation on the coriolis effect, he will need to include information about a rotating frame of reference and how it applies to Earth's rotation.
savedbynails
I think that this is the proper place for this, but move it if I'm wrong.

I'm conducting a physics project that has to do with what I think is the coriolis effect and simple harmonic motion. If a free swinging pendulum is let swing from a point over a level sand pit, as it swings, it will leave trails in the sand. But the trails are not a linear, back and forth motion. The pendulum swings back and forth within a circlular pattern, making equal periods as it swings. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with Earth's rotation, but I am not sure what.

Questions
1: What exactly is the coriolis effect?
2: Is the coriolis effect making the pendulum swing in a circle?
3: From what i can find, the coriolis effect has nothing to do with Earth's rotation directly, but a rotating frame of reference. Is this applicable to Earth's rotation?
4: Is there any background information that would be cool to apply or include in this presentation?
5: Any other cool project ideas that have something to do with simple harmonic motion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-savedbynails

Oh, BTW, I'm also looking into doing an almost completely computer-generated presentation on something to do with either Time dialation, plasma, nuclear physics, or something neat with sub-atomic particles. Any ideas for this would also be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i recommend searching google for what is known as a foucalut pendulum
any classical mechanics text will show u all u need to know about this
its sort of tricky as u have to have rotating frame of reference
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect
cheers
nate

valtorEN said:
i recommend searching google for what is known as a foucalut pendulum
any classical mechanics text will show u all u need to know about this
its sort of tricky as u have to have rotating frame of reference
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect
cheers
nate

Gotta love Wikipedia. :)

thanks nate,
-Sean

okay, I am trying to write a program to display a foucalut's pendulum. That covers a physical demonstration. I'm going to talk about what it is and what it shows. But...

I need to answer some sort of question... HELP!

1. What is harmonic motion and how does it occur?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around its equilibrium position. It occurs when a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring force, is applied to an object and the object experiences a displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. How is the Coriolis effect related to harmonic motion?

The Coriolis effect is a result of the Earth's rotation and its impact on moving objects. In the case of harmonic motion, the Coriolis effect can affect the direction of the oscillations, causing them to rotate clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

3. Can the Coriolis effect impact the amplitude of harmonic motion?

No, the Coriolis effect does not affect the amplitude of harmonic motion. The amplitude is determined by factors such as the initial displacement and the strength of the restoring force.

4. How do scientists study harmonic motion and the Coriolis effect?

Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to study harmonic motion and the Coriolis effect. They can also use instruments such as pendulums and Foucault pendulums to observe and measure the effects of these phenomena.

5. What are some real-life examples of harmonic motion and the Coriolis effect?

Examples of harmonic motion include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. The Coriolis effect can be seen in the rotation of hurricanes and the direction of ocean currents. It also affects the trajectory of objects such as bullets and airplanes.