Harmonic motion - Find the Mass held between two Springs

In summary: If ##\omega=\sqrt {\frac k m}##the value of that term ##k## must be equal to the ##k## of a system of two springs working in series.Therefore, ##k=k_1+k_2=m\omega^2##
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
E=1/2kA^2=1/2m(wA)^2
So first I find the energy using the eqn (1/2)kA^2. Since there are two springs with the same k I multiply it by two to get kA^2. Energy I get is 2.0475,

Now I use E=(1/2)m(wA)^2 to find mass. Again since there are two springs I use E=m(wA)^2.

m=E/(wA)^2. w=(2(pi))/T btw.

I get the answer of 3.375 when the correct answer is 6.750. Why is it that multiplying my answer by 2 gives me the rights answer? what am i missing here

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 87
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
since there are two springs I use E=m(wA)^2.
Given the mass and velocity, how does the number of springs or their constants affect the KE?
Btw, you don't need to know the amplitude. The calculation can be simplified.

Likes Lnewqban
I believe that your error is when you replace ##k_{total~of~the~system}## with ##m\omega^2## in the equation.

haruspex said:
Given the mass and velocity, how does the number of springs or their constants affect the KE?
Btw, you don't need to know the amplitude. The calculation can be simplified.
But the question gives amplitude? Kinetic E of a spring would be (1/2)kx^2.

Lnewqban said:
I believe that your error is when you replace ##k_{total~of~the~system}## with ##m\omega^2## in the equation.
Isnt E=kA^2=m(wA)^2 for two springs? For one spring it would be E=(1/2)kA^2=(1/2)m(wA)^2 right?

JoeyBob said:
Isnt E=kA^2=m(wA)^2 for two springs? For one spring it would be E=(1/2)kA^2=(1/2)m(wA)^2 right?
##E=\frac 12kA^2=\frac 12m(\omega A)^2## is for one spring.
##EPE_{max}=kA^2## is for two springs of constant k because the effective spring constant is 2k.
##KE_{max}=\frac 12mv_{max}^2=\frac 12m(\omega A)^2## because there is still only a mass m, not 2m.

Last edited:
Likes JoeyBob and Lnewqban
JoeyBob said:
If ##\omega=\sqrt {\frac k m}##
the value of that ##k## must be equal to the ##k## of a system of two springs working in series.
Therefore, ##k=k_1+k_2=m\omega^2##

The value of that term ##m\omega^2## is the one to be used in the equation of elastic potential energy.

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system or object moves back and forth between two points in a regular and predictable manner. It is often described as a "wave-like" motion.

2. How do you find the mass held between two springs?

To find the mass held between two springs, you will need to use the equation for the period of a mass-spring system, which is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for the mass (m = T^2k/4π^2).

3. What factors affect the harmonic motion of a mass-spring system?

The harmonic motion of a mass-spring system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the spring constant, the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium), and the initial conditions (such as the starting position and velocity).

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion refers to a system in which there is no external force acting on the object, resulting in a constant amplitude and frequency. Damped harmonic motion, on the other hand, involves an external force (such as friction) that causes the amplitude and frequency to decrease over time.

5. How is harmonic motion used in real-world applications?

Harmonic motion has many practical applications, such as in the design of musical instruments, pendulum clocks, and shock absorbers. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and mathematics to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.