Angular frequency of a mass between two springs.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of a mass' oscillation when suspended from the ceiling by a spring with spring constant k and from the floor by a spring with spring constant 3k. The solution involves performing a variable switch and solving for the angular frequency, which can then be used to find the frequency of the mass' oscillation. The conversation also mentions another frequency problem involving potential energy.
Aesteus

Homework Statement

A mass M is suspended from the ceiling by a spring with spring constant k, and from the floor by a spring with spring constant 3k. Find the frequency of the mass' oscillation.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F(net) = Mg + kx - 3kx = Mg - 2kx

performing a variable switch z= x - Mg/2k, I simplified the equation and set it equal to F(net) = Ma.

Ma = -2kz ... so therefore ω = (2k/M)^1/2

As you see, I performed a variable switch and solved the angular frequency for z. Now, how do I go about switching back to x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aesteus said:

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F(net) = Mg + kx - 3kx = Mg - 2kx

performing a variable switch z= x - Mg/2k, I simplified the equation and set it equal to F(net) = Ma.

Ma = -2kz ... so therefore ω = (2k/M)^1/2

As you see, I performed a variable switch and solved the angular frequency for z. Now, how do I go about switching back to x?

z= x - Mg/2k. Is not x=z+Mg/2k? :biggrin:

ehild

:) very good

The problem is that I'm trying to switch back to x from my z-based frequency equation ω=(k/M)^1/2. And how do I do that? .... Or is there another way?

The frequency is the same either you solve for x or z. z is a simple harmonic motion: z=Asin(ωt), with ω=sqrt(2k/M). x is an SHM + constant, but ω does not change.

If you do not like to use the new variable, try to find the solution directly for x of form x(t)=Asin(ωt)+B, (B is a undefined constant, you get if you substitute x into the original equation).

Physically, the springs change length with respect to their unstretched length when the mass is placed between them, and the mass will vibrate around that equilibrium point where the forces from the spring cancel with gravity. What is the change of length of both springs?

ehild

Ah I see now. And I think part of the problem is that it's 5 a.m. here. :)
Also, do you think you can help me out with my other frequency problem? It's about finding angular frequency from potential energy. I've hit a mental wall.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=593279

Aesteus said:
Ah I see now. And I think part of the problem is that it's 5 a.m. here. :)

Go to sleep. You will figure out the solution in your dreams:biggrin:

ehild

What is the definition of angular frequency?

Angular frequency is the rate of change of angular displacement over time, and is typically measured in radians per second.

How is angular frequency related to the mass between two springs?

The angular frequency of a mass between two springs is determined by the stiffness of the springs and the mass of the object. It is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass and directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant.

What is the formula for calculating angular frequency?

The formula for calculating angular frequency is ω = √(k/m), where ω is the angular frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

How does angular frequency affect the motion of a mass between two springs?

The higher the angular frequency, the faster the mass will oscillate between the two springs. This means that a higher angular frequency will result in a shorter period and a more rapid back and forth motion.

What factors can affect the angular frequency of a mass between two springs?

The angular frequency of a mass between two springs can be affected by changes in the spring constant, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the system. Additionally, the length and stiffness of the springs can also impact the angular frequency.