Harmonic motion of a box of mass

In summary, when sand is added to a box attached to a spring, the period of oscillation increases due to the increased mass and acceleration. For the spring-mass system described, the period is 1.62 seconds and the amplitude can be found using the formula ω=2pi/T.
sydboydell31
(a) A box of mass m, attached to a spring, oscillates in simple harmonic motion on a frictionless surface as indicated in the figure below. Each time the box reaches the point of maximum displacement a child allows some sand to fall vertically into the box. This will gradually increase the mass of the system. Briefly explain what will happen to the period of oscillation as sand is added.

(b) A spring hangs vertically from a ceiling with a mass m = 3.0
kg attached to its lower end. The spring constant is k = 45 N.m-1.
Initially, you hold the mass in your hand so that the spring is at its natural length (neither stretched nor compressed). At t = 0 s you release the mass from rest.

(i) Find a value for the period of oscillation of this spring-mass system.

(ii) Find a value for the amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sydboydell31,
You have to find the values and we will try to help you if you encounter any problems.

so what's I've got so far is:
a) I've proved that the period increases when mass is increased because of F=ma, the heavier the mass the bigger the acceleration, when the mass increases, more force is then able to be compressed into the spring and therefore transferred back. Since there's no friction in this question, there will be no loss of energy during the oscillation, so if the speed increases, the period decreases. is this right?

b) (i)
m=3.0kg
k=45N.m-1
t=0
i've used the equation ω=sqr(k/m)=sqr(45/3)=3.87kgN-1m-1
Then used the equation ω=2pi/T, to find the period, 3.87=2pi/T, T=1.62s

c) (ii)
i'm not too sure how to approach this question, do you use the equation ωA=(2pi)/T?

my take:

for a) the period won't change the period of pendulum = 2pi/w = 2pi(L/G)^0.5 so mass doesn't affect period of pendulum

b) yes use the formula

c) not sure

sydboydell31 said:
a) I've proved that the period increases when mass is increased because of F=ma, the heavier the mass the bigger the acceleration, when the mass increases, more force is then able to be compressed into the spring and therefore transferred back. Since there's no friction in this question, there will be no loss of energy during the oscillation, so if the speed increases, the period decreases. is this right?

Yep. You can also observe this from the formula,

[tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt {\frac{m}{k}}[/tex]
aznking1 said:
my take:

for a) the period won't change the period of pendulum = 2pi/w = 2pi(L/G)^0.5 so mass doesn't affect period of pendulum

But this isn't a pendulum :wink:

sydboydell31 said:
b) (i)
m=3.0kg
k=45N.m-1
t=0
i've used the equation ω=sqr(k/m)=sqr(45/3)=3.87kgN-1m-1
Then used the equation ω=2pi/T, to find the period, 3.87=2pi/T, T=1.62s

That seems correct to me.

sydboydell31 said:
c) (ii)
i'm not too sure how to approach this question, do you use the equation ωA=(2pi)/T?

The formula you wrote requires does not give you amplitude... It should be,

[tex]\omega = 2\pi/T[/tex]

Amplitude is the maximum displacement from the mean position. How can you find the maximum displacement??

Just read the forum FAQs. My bad.

Last edited:
Just read the forum FAQs. My bad.

Last edited:

What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion refers to the repetitive movement of an object back and forth around a central equilibrium point, caused by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

What factors affect the harmonic motion of a box of mass?

The mass of the box, the spring constant of the spring attached to the box, and the amplitude and frequency of the applied force all affect the harmonic motion of a box of mass.

How is the period of harmonic motion calculated?

The period of harmonic motion is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the spring attached to the object.

Can harmonic motion of a box of mass be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as friction and air resistance can affect the harmonic motion of a box of mass by reducing the amplitude or changing the period of the motion.

What is the significance of harmonic motion in real-world applications?

Harmonic motion is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-world applications, such as in pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and in the study of waves and vibrations.