Harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about finding the commutator of H and a†, with the inductive step assuming that Hϕn = nϕn. The conversation also explores the eigenvalues of H associated with the eigenvectors ϕn, with the conclusion that the energies are En = ℏω(n + 1/2).
jtaa
the problem is attached as an image.

im having troubles with the question. I'm assuming this is an induction question?
i can prove it for the basis step n=0.

but I am having trouble as to what i have to do for n+1 (inductive step).

any help or hints would be great!thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the commutator of [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]a^\dagger[/itex]?

N=a†a

[N,a†]=a†
[N,a]=-a

What about [itex]H[/itex]?

[H,a†] = [itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]a†

[H,a] = -[itex]\hbar[/itex][itex]\omega[/itex]a

[itex]\phi_{n+1} = \left( n + 1 \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} a^\dagger \phi_n[/itex] gives [itex]H \phi_{n+1} = \left( n + 1 \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} H a^\dagger \phi_n[/itex]. Now use the commutator to reorder [itex]H a^\dagger[/itex].

re-order how?

by using: Ha†=[itex]\hbar\omega[/itex]a† + a†H
?

Yes.

i then get:

=(n+1)-1/2(a†[itex]\hbar\omega[/itex]+a†H)[itex]\phi[/itex]n
=[itex]\hbar\omega[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex]n+1 + (n+1)-1/2a†H[itex]\phi[/itex]n

not sure what to do from here..

The inductive step assumes what about [itex]H\phi_n[/itex]?

it assumes that Hϕn = nϕn

i.e. that ϕn is an eigenvector of H. n being the eigenvalue

=> = ([itex]\hbar\omega[/itex]+n)ϕn+1

?

jtaa said:
it assumes that Hϕn = nϕn

i.e. that ϕn is an eigenvector of H.

The inductive step assumes that [itex]\phi_n[/itex] is an eigenvector of [itex]H[/itex], but it doesn't assume that the associated eigenvalue is [itex]n[/itex]. Energies are eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian, so call the the eigenvalue [itex]E_n[/itex]. Maybe [itex]E_n = n[/itex], but maybe it doesn't. Let's find out!
jtaa said:
i can prove it for the basis step n=0.

What is the eigenvalue of [itex]H[/itex] associated with the eigenvector [itex]\phi_0[/itex]?

0=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ℏωϕ0

So, E0=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ℏω

=> Hϕn+1 = ℏωϕn+1+Enϕn+1
?

Last edited:
Right.

can i simply say after that:
the energies are:

En=hw(n+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex])

?

1. What is a harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum?

A harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum refers to the set of eigenvectors and eigenvalues that describe the behavior of a harmonic oscillator system. A harmonic oscillator is a system that oscillates around an equilibrium point with a restoring force proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. The eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the system represent the possible states and corresponding energies of the system.

2. How is the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum calculated?

The harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or solving the Schrödinger equation. Diagonalization involves finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian matrix for the system. Solving the Schrödinger equation involves finding the energy eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions for the system.

3. What is the significance of the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum?

The harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum is important because it provides information about the energy levels and states of a harmonic oscillator system. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of physical systems such as atoms, molecules, and mechanical systems.

4. How does the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum is used to describe the energy levels and states of a quantum mechanical system. This is done by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system, which results in a set of eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. These eigenvalues and eigenfunctions represent the possible energy levels and states of the system.

5. Can the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum be observed experimentally?

Yes, the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum can be observed experimentally through techniques such as spectroscopy. Spectroscopy involves studying the interaction of light with matter, which can provide information about the energy levels and states of a system. This can be used to confirm the predictions of the harmonic oscillator eigenvector/eigenvalue spectrum.