Harmonic Oscillator Expectation Values

In summary, the problem involves calculating the time-dependent expectation values <x> and <p> for a particle of mass m in a harmonic oscillator potential. The probability density is given by |\Psi (x,t) |^2 = \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar} \right )^{1/2}\textrm{exp}\left[-\frac{mw}{\hbar}(x - a\textrm{cos}\omega t)^2 \right ]. The approach suggested is to use Ehrenfest's theorem and substitute u=(x - a*cos[wt]) to simplify the integral.
zje

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m that is confined to a harmonic oscillator potential [tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2[/tex] is described by a wave packet having the probability density,

[tex]|\Psi (x,t) |^2 = \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar} \right )^{1/2}\textrm{exp}\left[-\frac{mw}{\hbar}(x - a\textrm{cos}\omega t)^2 \right ][/tex]

where [tex]\omega[/tex] is a constant angular frequency and a is a positive real constant.

Calculate the time-dependent expectation values <x> and <p>. [Hint: Use Ehrenfest's theorem]

Homework Equations

d<x>/dt = <p/m>

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure where to begin attacking this problem. I feel that if I can calculate <x>, then <p> should be easy given the equation above. I was thinking of trying the raising/lowering operators. Can I assume the particle is in the ground state since the only Hermite polynomial in [tex]\Psi[/tex] is [tex]H_0[/tex] = 1? Is there an easier approach to this problem? I tried just calculating <x> using
[tex]\int \limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi(x,t)x\Psi^*(x,t)\textrm{d}x[/tex]
but that was getting out of control fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That integral is pretty straightforward to do with a simple substitution. What did you try?

I tried expanding the exponent term and couldn't find a way to integrate by parts that made it simpler. Looking at it again, would the simple substitution be u=(x - a*cos[wt]), du=dx?

Thanks for your reply!

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal motion around the equilibrium point.

2. How is the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator calculated?

The expectation value of a harmonic oscillator is calculated by taking the average of all possible values that the oscillator can take on. This is done by integrating the probability density function over all possible values.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value in a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value in a harmonic oscillator represents the most probable value that the oscillator will take on. It is a useful tool in understanding the behavior of the oscillator and making predictions about its future motion.

4. What factors can affect the expectation value of a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of a harmonic oscillator can be affected by the amplitude, frequency, and energy of the oscillator. It can also be influenced by any external forces acting on the oscillator.

5. How does the expectation value change over time in a harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of a harmonic oscillator remains constant over time, as long as there are no external forces acting on the oscillator. This is because the probability distribution of the oscillator does not change over time in the absence of external influences.